Chapter 19: Debt

WARNING

Dark theme of child abuse for this story arc. (This and the next few chapters). If this is a trigger/landmine for you, please stop reading now.

----------------------------------------

It was not the first time Gu Shen had met Dong Lin. He once had a chance encounter with Dong Lin in his early years. No matter who saw Dong Lin, they would not imagine him to be a renowned bandit.

Because Dong Lin was a truly inconspicuous person. When Dong Lin sat all hunched over against the wall, even Gu Shen had to take a second look before he could spot him.

"So that's him." Cang Ji sized him up. "He's tough to find."

Jing Lin tapped his folding fan on his knee and said, "He didn't bring the copper bell with him today."

"Who cares?" Cang Ji bared his sharp teeth slightly. "If we can't find it, we'll eat him."

Gu Shen sat before Dong Lin. He looked at Dong Lin for a moment before he said, "Who would expect you to end up in this state?"

"You reap what you sow." Dong Lin took off his woolen hat, revealing his face in its entirety. He looked gaunt, barely able to open his half-drooping eyes, and only the contours of his face were still sharp. He scrutinized Gu Shen and said, "You haven't gone home yet."

"There has been no news for over thirty years. It's not that easy to return to my hometown. The trafficker who abducted me is already six feet under. I don't know how long I still need to search for."

Gu Shen raised his hand, and his subordinate brought over two jars of cold wine. He opened a jar and threw it over to Dong Lin.

At a narrow corner, both of them clank the jars of wine together, then raised their heads to drink. Gu Shen wiped his mouth, placed the jar on its side, and said, "Speak."

"Chen Ren was addicted to gambling and owed me six gold pearls. I didn't earn much this year, so I had to collect some debts as the year drew to an end. I called on him many times, but he repeatedly tried to fob me off. I had no choice but to go to his house late at night to ask for repayment.

Who would expect his entire family to be still awake? I had a dispute with Chen Ren, and that old man wanted to report me to the yamen. How could I let him do so? On a whim, I cleaned out all four members of the family." Dong Lin sipped cold wine and slowly exhaled. He continued, "... Just that, I didn't know there was still a little girl in his family. I don't touch children, so I spared her."

"With your skill​, getting​ out of the city is easy​. Once you're out of the town, ​all you need is to find a family for her ​and you can make your getaway. ​Although ​I'm ​on orders to investigate​, I'll still have ​to report to the higher authorities ​when the deadline is up. ​

Then, I'll have to wait three to five days for the new official orders to be issued before I can ​leave town to ​take you down." Gu Shen said, "​This is such a good opportunity. And yet you​ deliver yourself right into my hands?"

"As soon as he met this ​Dong Lin​, he ​changes ​from a tiger into a cat." Cang​ Ji caught hold Jing​ L​in's fan​ and ​drew it​ closer​. He asked​, "His ​treatment of this person is so different. Aren't the others worried ​that they are in cahoots with each other?"