Chapter 18: Truth And Lies

WARNING

Dark theme of child abuse for this story arc. (This and the next few chapters). If this is a trigger/landmine for you, please stop reading now.

----------------------------------------

The waiter was on pins and needles as he went to the prefectural yamen again. He scratched his head and said, "Qian Fuzi? I'm not really that familiar with Qian Fuzi... He comes to the shop often, but so does everyone in this street!

I'm just an illiterate waiter; I don't have any personal relationship with him. You're asking me who's on good terms with him? There's probably none. He's kind to others, but he also keeps his distance. It's no surprise, though. All scholars are like this."

"How does he treat children? Pretty good. He would buy food for the children every few days. All the children on this street like him. It's common for them to go in and out of his house. About a year ago, a carriage that was passing through the street overturned and crushed Little Girl Chen's foot.

He was the one who gave her a piggyback to the physician. After this incident, Old Man Chen was even more grateful to him and would tell everyone he met what a good man Qian Fuzi was."

"Why didn't Qian Fuzi marry? How would I know? But everyone knows that he likes children, especially Caoyu. He's even more attentive to her than the Chen household themselves. How did the Chen household treat Caoyu? This, I truly don't know. I only know that her body is weak, and she seems to fall sick all year round. Her complexion isn't that good, and she's so small and skinny.

Chen Ren? How would I know about Chen Ren? But his wife Zhou's treatment of Caoyu isn't bad. She's always talking about her even when she's outdoors. Everyone here knows she treats Caoyu well; she even makes clothes for her to wear when the weather gets cold."

"Borrow money? I never borrow money. Qian Fuzi doesn't have much money either. He has nothing in common with me; even if I want to borrow money, I wouldn't ask from him." The waiter shifted his body and continued, "Ah Hong? Don't be deceived by his tender age. He's good at making unreasonable demands and creating a scene."

Finally, Gu Shen gestured for him to leave. When the waiter stepped through the threshold, he turned back and added, "Ah Hong often follows Qian Fuzi around. Children are innocent. Who could say if they could tell better than others? I heard Ah Hong saying that..."

Gu Shen's gaze turned sharp.

The waiter faltered and continued, "... Qian Fuzi treats Caoyu differently. He's closer to her than normal." He smiled uneasily, "I used to hear that the people of Xitu has a penchant for this kind of stuff."

"Qian Fuzi? Qian Fuzi has nothing to do with our Hong-er." The old widow tapped her walking stick anxiously. "They have nothing to do with each other, Constable Gu! Children are slow-witted.

How can you believe his nonsense?! What statement? Can you speak louder? I can't hear you that well. Oh, my! Others must have taught him this kind of filthy words! Our Hong-er has always been reasonable; he would never say such words to others."

"Hong-er seldom leaves the house. He has never been to Qian Fuzi's house."

"Hong-er does indeed play with the Chen girl. The courtyards are so close together, and we bear no grudge against the Chens. Why can't I ask the children to play together?"