A Doll And A Door

Chapter 2

Coraline's POV

It started to rain,so I ran quickly back home. I went in the kitchen where my mother was on her computer typing her garden catalogue for tulips.

"I almost fell down a well yesterday,mom," I said.

"Uh-huh," she replied.

"I would've died." I said raising an eyebrow. She wasn't even paying attention.

"That's nice," she said.

"Hmm...so,can I go out?! I think it's perfect whether for gardening," I said putting my hands in the air.

"No Coraline. Rain makes mud. Mud makes a mess."

"But,mom, I want stuff growing when my friends come to visit...isn't that why we moved here?"

"Something like that. But then we had the accident."

"It wasn't my fault you hit that truck," I said crossing my arms.

"I never said it was," she said crossing her arms.

I scratched my hand on where it had poison ivy."I can't believe it. You and dad get paid to write about plants,and you hate dirt," I said putting my hands on my hips.

"Coraline, I don't have time for you right now, and you still have unpacking to do. Lots of unpacking!"

"That's sounds exciting," I said sarcasticly.

She crossed her arms then she said,"Oh. Some kid left this on the front porch." She handed it to me. It looked like a burrito wrapped in newspaper. I hoped it to find a note.

Hey, Jonsie.
Look what I found in grandma's trunk. Look familiar?

~Wybie

"Ugh. I said irritated. I opened it to find a doll that looked. EXACTLY like me. "Huh? A little me? That's weird." I said.

"Whats his name...anyway." mom asked.

"Wybie," I said with a hatred face. "And I'm way to old for dolls. I walked out of the kitchen and went into my dad's study. He was also on the computer.

"Hey, dad. How's the writing going?" I asked.

No response.

"Dad!!!" I said louder.

He heard me this time

"Hello Coraline and Coraline...doll," he said shrugging his shoulders,going back to typing.

"Do you know where the garden tools are at?" I asked.

"It's...it's pouring out there isn't it?" He asked.

"Hmm. It's raining," I said.

"Hmm. What'd the boss say?" He asked.

"DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT GOING OUTSIDE, CORALINE JONES!!!" I mimicked.

"Then you won't need the tools," he said smiling,still typing.

"Ugh." I complained. I pushed the door and it started to making a creaking noise. I did it over and over again,hanging onto the doornob going back and fourth. My dad got annoyed.

"Ugh. You know,this house is 150 years old," he said.

"So..."

"So explore it. Go out and count all the doors and write that down. List everything that's blue,just...let me work," he said giving me a pen and notebook.

~~~~~~~~

I was in the bathroom to see if anything was blue. I opened the shower curtain and found, I think they were water bugs.

"Ugh!!!" I shouted. I started to squash them with my hands and got most of them."Ew," I said,my hands full of guts. I turned on the water in the bathtub so I could clean my hands. Instead I got my hair wet.

~~~~~

I explored around some more and went in a closet with a water vent. As a wrote down water vent, I turned off the light and the lights startled flickering. Then I hear a scream.

"No. No. Gah!!!" My dad yelled.

I went back in the closet and it had a note saying DONT PUSH. I turned it back on and the lights went on again. I closed the door and quickly ran out,pretending I didn't do anything. I went into this empty, pale, Blue room. There was a box with my mom's snowglobes and I put them up on the shelf that was right below and painting. I grabbbed my pen and notebook.

"One boring Blue boy in a paintly boring painting," I said. I started counting. "Four incredibly boring windows,and no. More. Doors, I said reaching out for my doll. "All right,little me,where you hiding?" I asked looking for my doll. "Huh?" I said when I moved a cardboard box and saw a little door. I traced it from the wallpaper it was covered in.

"Hey,mom. Where does this door go?" I asked.

"I'm really,really busy," she said typing on her computer.

"I think it's locked...PLEASE!!!"

"Ugh," she complained.

She came a put her hands on her hips looking at me. Then she looked at the door and back at me,crossing her arms. She leaned in towards me.

"Will you stop pestering me if I do this for you?" She asked gesturing her hand to the door.

I put up my hands and made a puppy face.

"Fine," she said and went to find the key.

She came back with a black-buttoned key and she teared the wallpaper where the door was blocked by it and opened it. My heart was beating fast...then my heart sunk.

"Bricks? I don't get it," I said depressed and confused.

She sighed. "They must've closed this off when they divided up the house."

"Your kidding,"I said. "And whys the door so small?"

"We made a deal! Zip it!" she said irritated.

"...you didn't lock it!"

"Rrrrrgh," she complained angrily.

I closed the door sadly. I thought something was actually gonna be very interesting about this house.

~~~~~~

"Oh my twitchy-witchy girl, I think you are so nice, I give you bowls of porridge and I give you bowls of ice-cream!" My dad said serving me. His cooking is gross-disgusting. I just started playing with my dolls hair. I still can't believe it was designed JUST like me.

"Ugh," I complained pushing the plate away. It looked gross and it stinks." Why don't YOU ever cook,Mom?

She sighed."Corlaine, we've been through this before. Your dad cooks,I clean, and YOU stay out of the way," she said. She put her hand over her heart and her other hand up. " I swear,I'll go food shopping as soon as we finish the catalogue.

"Ugh," I complained again.

"Try some of the chard. You need a vegetable," she said putting my plate in my face.

I picked up the fork. "It looks more like slime to me," I said.

"Well, it's slime, or bed time fuss pot. So what's it gonna be?" He asked.

"Think there trying to poison me?" I said to my doll and motioned its head to nod.

I went to bed. There was no way I was gonna eat that. I tucked myself in and put my little me on the chair next to my bed. "Goodnight,Little Me," I said and went to bed.

~~~~~~

I woke up to a strange squeaking sound. I got up and checked under my bed. It was a mouse. It crawled to the door. I think it wanted me to follow it. I did.

It led me downstairs,and finally to the little door filled with bricks. I opened it and it was colorful with a path for me to go to the other side." Whoa," I said in amazement. I looked around,no one was there,and went through it.