The Door Behind the Wallpaper

Chapter 9

Coraline's POV

          My mom keyed the wallpaper and opened it only to reveal—bricks! "Bricks? I don't get it." My mother sighed in frustration as she wanted to get back to her "work."
"They must've closed it up when they divided up the house."
"You're kidding! And why's the door so small?"
"WE. MADE. A. DEAL. ZIP IT!" she exclaimed and she went back into the kitchen.
I debated if I should of said another word to here,but it was kind of important. "You didn't lock it!" And after I said those four words, she gave a big growl and I immediately regretted it.

       In disappointment, I closed the door and got ready for dinner. Dinner wasn't really my favorite time of day, let alone meal. My dads cooking tastes like recycled food. Guess that shows how cheap my family is. "Oooh my twitchy witchy girl, I think you are so nice. I give you bowls of portage and I give you bowls of ice cream!" My dad sings that every time he serves me his food. I hate my life, but I brought Little Me with me to share my suffering with.

I push my plate to the side. "Why don't you ever cook, Mom" I complained for the one millionth time.

"Coraline, we've been through this before. Your dad cooks, I clean, and you stay out of the way." Then she puts her hand on her heart and says, "I swear I'll go food shopping as soon as we finish the catalog." She always swears stuff, but it rarely happens when she actually keeps her promises. She pushed the plate towards me. "Try some of the chard, you need a vegetable."
"Looks more like slime to me."
"Well it's slime or bedtime fuss pot, now what's it going to be?" My dad asks.
"Think they're trying to poison me?" I gesture my hands to Little Me's head as if she's nodding. I sigh. I have no other choice but to go to bed because there's no way I'm eating...whatever it is he made.

    I look down at the palm of my hand that is still covered in poison oak. It itches so badly, but I tried not to think about it. I put Little Me on the chair that's next to my bed. "Goodnight, Little Me." I smile and turn over and snuggle my bear that I got when I was little, and went straight to bed.

I was asleep for about an hour until I heard a noise coming from under my bed. I woke up and peeked to see what it was and a little mouse came running towards me. I got up and it ran towards my door, looked back at me, and ran out of my room. Something told me to follow it so I got up to do just that. It seemed like the mouse wanted me to follow him from the way he lead me downstairs and went into the door behind the wallpaper. I didn't even hesitate to open it because I thought I was dreaming, but at the same time I knew this wasn't my imagination. I couldn't believe, though, that was once just a bricked wall, turned out to be a magical tunnel.