Chapter 39 ~ The Cabin

Mikaela's POV

Mikaela's POV

It took just over three hours, but we eventually made it to the Appalachian Mountains. Kai slept for most of the journey, leaving me to drive in peace, the soft music from the radio the only thing filling the silence.

Pulling up to the cute log cabin hidden deep in the forest, a little way down from the mountain trail, I turned off the engine and tapped Kai gently on the arm.

"Hm?" he mumbled, eyes fluttering open.

"We're here," I said softly, flashing a smile.

Pushing himself to sit up straighter in his seat, he yawned and stretched out his arms. "That didn't take long," he commented, scanning his surroundings.

I shrugged. "It's not that far from home," I explained simply before opening my door and getting out.

"But we're away from other people, right?" Kai wondered, clambering out of his side of the car. "Because that could cause some problems."

Chuckling, I nodded, opening up the trunk to grab some of our luggage. "Yeah, it's just us for a few miles. The trail's up a lot higher, no one ventures down here." I smirked at him, picking up our suitcases and hauling them out of the car. "They say that this forest is home to Big Foot."

"Wait, what?" Kai squeaked, glancing around nervously.

Giggling, I headed towards the cabin, hearing his footsteps quickly catching up to me. I dropped the suitcases briefly to pick the lock of the cabin door then stepped inside. The open-plan room appeared completely untouched - I doubted anyone had been here since my brother - and smelled like forest and wood smoke.

"Well, this is cozy," Kai commented, walking around the main room to inspect the property with inquisitive detail. There was a small kitchenette, a lounge area with a two-person couch, and a little round dining table with a couple of chairs.

"Ty told me about this place. It's where he stayed whilst breaking the sire-bond too," I explained quietly, placing the palm of my hand against the claw scratches embedded into the wood texture of the front door. "These four walls have seen a lot of pain."

Kai strolled towards me wearing a lazy grin. "Allow me to be the one to change to that," he murmured, before pulling me into his arms and placing a soft kiss to my lips.

I allowed myself to kiss him back briefly but I knew we were on a time-limit. I pushed him away gently, fighting the inner voice that was telling me to rip off his clothes right now - to hell with the mission. "As much as I would love to stay here and kiss you all day and night, we're here for a reason," I reminded him with a reluctant sigh. "The quicker I get this bond broken, the sooner you can have me all to yourself..." I finished with a flirty smile, hoping it would lessen the blow to his ego.