Chapter 43 ~ The Sickness

My control-freak nature kicking in, I instantly started figuring out plan A, plan B, all the way through to Z

Kai was sick? Okay. So what are we going to do about it?

I bit into my wrist, offering it out to him. "Drink my blood, maybe it will help-"

He shook his head, pushing my arm away gently. "I really don't think-"

"Just try," I begged, cutting off his protests. "Please."

Kai inhaled a deep breath, slowly reaching for my wrist again. "Okay." Allowing me to place it against his lips, he drank from the open wound, swallowing down my blood with difficulty as he tried to ignore the metallic taste. It took only a few seconds before he had to turn his head in the direction of the toilet, vomiting up my blood instantly.

"Oh God, Kai," I gasped, stroking his back. I sighed, ticking off the failed plan and moving onto the next. "Okay, if the problem is magic then maybe you need a boost or something?" Offering out my palms, I placed them in front of him. "Here, take some of mine."

Kai straightened up only slightly, wiping his mouth with the back of his arm. He glanced at my hands with uncertainty. "Are you sure-"

Panic starting to creep in, I gripped hold of his hands in one quick motion. "Do it." We didn't have time for hesitation.

Kai bobbed his head weakly, realising I wasn't going to take no for an answer in this situation. Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath, drawing the magic from my body into his own, his palms glowing orange. It stung but I barely let out a peep. I'd been through a lot worse over these past few days and I didn't want to make this any harder on him.

"There," I said with a smile as Kai let go. "How's that?"

His sickly-pale skin had returned to a healthier looking colour, less grey and pasty. He breathed a sigh of relief. "You know what? I actually think I feel a little better."

Hopefulness expanded my chest as I grinned with delight. "Really?"

"Yeah, it definitely seemed to help-" Suddenly he cut off, his stomach making those God-awful sounds again. All of that colour that had previously lit up his features had now drained from his skin.

"Kai?" I murmured anxiously, searching his face.

Twisting himself to reach the toilet, Kai threw up a sea of red, his insides contorting as they forced the incompatible magic out of his body. My hands flew to my mouth, hiding my gasp. He didn't need my internal terror escalating his own.

I was really beginning to worry - but I had to try and keep control of the situation, for Kai's sake. "Okay. Maybe it's not my magic that you need."

He groaned, resting his head against the seat. "I was worried about this happening."

"What?" I asked with a frown.

"It's Luke's magic. I wasn't supposed to merge with him," Kai explained, voice hoarse. "This is my body's way of trying to tell me I messed up."