Chapter 17

The morning of Mumbai was hot. People were running for their offices. Stations were crowded with people going and coming from their shifts. The dinning hall of the Diamond Hotel was filled with the aromatic dishes served for breakfast. Preedit and Rama were sitting and having their food when Preeti saw her mother tensed.

Preeti-Maa!! Sab theek hoga.

Preeti held Rama's hand and consoled her.

Rama-Ek baar tu Naina se baat kar le na, usse sab baata de.

Pandit-Mummyji, thodi der mein Naina ko pata chalna hi hai na. Aap chinta mat kijiye.

Rama-Iss sab ki kya zarurat hai, usse aur bura lagega.

Preeti-Maa, uski khushi ke liye hai toh kar rahe hai na hum. Kuch nahi hoga.

Rama gave up as she knew how adamant Preeti was and got back to her breakfast.

**********************************************************

The taxi driver arrived and the Agarwals put their luggage in, and were bidding a bye to the others.

Rakesh-Chaliye Bhaisaab, bohot ache se hogaya sab aur Pinki bhi khush thi.

Tauji-Usike liye hai sab.

Rama-Ji, ab aap sab bhi aaiye Delhi; ek program banate hai.

Bela-Kyon nahi zarur banayenge sab ek saath ho toh acha lagta hai.

Taiji-Aur ab Naina ka rishta bhi to judega, uske bahane aana ho jayega.

Rakesh-Ji.

Naina smiled fakingly and then slowly walks to Preeti and pulls her near the cab.

Preeti-Kya kar rhi hai?

Naina-Preeti main iss rishte ke liye tayar nahi hu.

Preeti-Kyu?

Naina-Kyu kya? Main.....mujhe time chahiye.

Preeti-Kis liye Naina? (seriously)

Naina-Main abhi tak sab bhul nahi payi hu, Preeti. Main kisi aur ke aane ke liye tayar nahi hu.

Preeti-Woh toh tu kabhi hogi bhi nhi Naina. Woh cheez tu kabhi bhula nhi payegi, lekin iska matlab ye nhi ki tu aage na badhe. Aur kya pata yeh rishta woh ho joh tujhe pehle wala bhula de. (pause) Dekh hum teri shaadi tere marzi ke khilaaf toh nahi karayenge lekin ek baar try toh kar. Shayad yeh acha ho.

Naina-Nahi main nahi kar paungi.

Preeti(sighs)-Main teri madat nahi kar sakti Naina, yeh rishta Phulla bua layi hai. Haa ya Naa jo bhi ho woh tu unhe bata.

Saying this Preeti gets in the car leaving a tensed Naina behind.

**********************************************************

The car stopped by the destination, and the Agarwals stepped down. The housing society looked quite big, with tall buildings and trees. Rakesh and Pandit walked ahead guiding the ladies in the building towards the elevator. They all got inside and as they were lifting up Naina's tension and nervousness too rose up. She was rubbing her palms forcefully with creases on the forehead. Rama notices this and holds her hand and blinks in assurance. Naina looks at her and passes a small smile but inwardly she was scared to the core.

The bell dinged and the doors opened. Naina's family walked in and Rakesh leaded all to the groom-to-be's apartment. A stout man, with a mouthache, dress in white clothes, opened the door.

"Arre, Aaiye Aaiye Agarwal sahab!!"

The man invited everyone in and asked them to settle down.

Man-Prabha, mehmaan aagaye bahar to aao.