~ Chapter 74: Shattered ~

Y/N looked down at the hole nervously as Knuckles and Kneecaps climbed down with their spiked gloves and kneecaps to save the eagle who got its wing stuck by the fallen rock with the green shard lying in the nest. At the bottom is the lake of lava and a loud rumble is heard as the rocky wall they're climbing begins to crack. They have to act fast.

"Hang on, little guy!"

Knuckles and Kneecaps swift down as quickly as possible as they caught the eagle and the green shard at the same time as the rocks crash onto the rock shell along with the nest. They launch themselves to the next rocky wall.

"Don't you know it's dangerous around here?" Kneecaps questioned, holding the eagle close.

Knuckles looked down at the green shard he held.

"You're safe now. Looks like you had one of the missing Master Emerald shards!"

"We might actually find them all in time at this rate..."

Kneecaps let go of the eagle, seeing that his wing is fine and good as it fly in the air next to them with a grateful look. Knuckles launched himself off the wall as Kneecaps quickly hold onto his brother as they began to fly up to the surface.

"C'mon! We'll ride this updraft to the top!"

The eagle happily followed after them as they made it out safely. Y/N looked over at them with relief as the eagle fly over to her.

"Are you guys okay?" she asked, gently grabbing a hold of the eagle.

"We're fine." Kneecaps said.

"Ha! It'll take more than crumbling rocks and certain death to stop us! Locky here lost his nest, though."

Y/N petted the eagle with a coo.

"Oh, you poor thing! You okay?"

The eagle nudged his head against her chin, telling her that he's fine.

"I'm so glad! I can't explain your sense of deja vu though..."

She then noticed the small shard in Knuckles' hand.

"Was that the only shard?"

"Yeah." he sadly said.

"Could more maybe have fallen when...?"

"It's only the one near us. Trust me, I can sense them."

Y/N let go of the eagle as it flapped its wings in the air.

"Alright. It's just... We detected that the rest of the shards were on this island..."

"I know."

"And the Freedom Fighters are getting close to restoring the world..."

"I know... Angel Island is only floating because everything else is too. If we don't restore the Master Emerald in time, it'll fall straight into the planet's mantle. ...Or worse on somewhere populated..."

"Knuckles, bro. We can do this." Kneecaps assured.

Y/N grasped Knuckles' hand gently, making him look at her.

"Kneecaps is right. We still have some time. And we've tracked the remaining shards here. It'll be okay. I promise."

Eagle squaked down at Knuckles happily.

"See? Even he agrees!"

Knuckles felt a little annoyed and sighed, knowing they're right. He quickly swatted eagle away who happily flew off to find another safe place.

"Alright! Alright! Let's get moving."

"Right! Let's go to the Castle Acorn!"

Knuckles, Kneecaps, and Y/N zoomed through the field.