~ Chapter 73: Shards and Sparks ~

While Sonic and the Freedom Fighters are searching for the Gaia keys--magical artifacts crucial to their plan for saving the planet--Y/N, Knuckles, and Kneecaps are inside Moss's house, sitting in the chair talking about the Master Emerald shard when Y/N suddenly got a call from her watch on her wrist and immediately replied as the speaker is on.

"Tails to Y/N! Do you read me?" Tails called.

"Hey, Tails! What's up? How's my Kirby doing?"

"Kirby is doing fine and okay. He's with Cream. Bunnie and I just got the last Gaia Key. We'll be moving on the plan to fix the world soon. Have you found all the Master Emerald shards?"

"Uh...no. We've got three. One from Casino Park, one from Apotos and one we found on the way here." Knuckles spoke.

"My Chaos Emerald sense showed me the rest are clustered into groups, but..."

"You worry about the world, Tails. We've got this. We'll be alright." Kneecaps assured.

"Okay. Good luck, you guys." Tails said.

Y/N then turn off her watch and face Knuckles and Kneecaps.

"Not that I'm giving up, but this is going to be close..."

"We'll make it work. It just means we'll have to strike the Egg Base and get those two shards I've detected tonight. You two sure you're up for it?"

In front of them was Mighty and Ray with Moss behind them, leaning against the wooden wall. Mighty grinned and clasped hands with Knuckles.

"Knux, when have I ever passed up a challenge?"

This made everyone smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Outside the Soumerca Egg Army Base, at sunset

"The gate is no good, either. There's a sniper tower right on the other side." Ray informed, looking through the binoculars.

"We've got to get in there. I'll handle it. That is, if lovely Y/N will please lend me her giant fist whip for a moment?" Mighty said, smiling at Werehog Y/N.

"THANK YOU. YOU'RE SUCH A GENTLEMAN!"

Y/N handed him her giant fist whip as he spun it and then threw it towards the sniper tower as the fist crashed the building, causing the Mobian soldiers to fall off. Mighty and Knuckles together punched through the wall with grin on their faces.

"Knock-Knock!"

"It's Mighty and Knuckles!"

"AND Y/N THE WERHOG! AROOOOOH!!"

After getting her giant fist whip back, Y/N landed in front of the soldiers and swiped them away with her big claws as screams were heard. They all ran into the base.

"Keep low, li'l buddy! Stick to the plan--Nothing fancy!" Mighty said.

"Right! See you in a minute!"

Ray then flew off while Kneecaps ran into the other direction, leaving Mighty, Knuckles, and Y/N as Knuckles knocked the flying robot away with his spiked fist.

"Let's make some noise!"

"YEAH!! PUNCH IT LOTS!"

The trio ran through the hallway while knocking out the soldiers and robots.

"Not that I've fought a lot of Egg Soldiers or anything, but I thought they were supposed to be tough!"

"Against your average citizen? Sure, they're fearsome. We're in a whole different league, Knux."