6: A Dark Lord in Shining Armour

"What time do you need to be back at your relatives?"

Harry had dragged the Dark Lord to buy owl treats for Hedwig before stopping into Flourish and Blotts and was currently wandering through the towering book shelves, picking out a few different books on wizarding customs and a book about the sacred twenty-eight families when he was interrupted by Tom.

"Probably not until I need to cook dinner, which is at like 7 o'clock" Harry said, scanning through each of the book titles, thrilled with how clear everything was.

"What subjects did you choose?" Tom asked next, as he stopped at the bookshelf holding the schoolbooks for the next year Hogwarts students.

"Besides the standard four, divination, which is a load of crap, and care of magical creatures, though I do like Hagrid it's not a particularly informative subject." Harry paused, looking up at Tom from his stack of books. "You know Hagrid still has that acromantula you blamed on the chamber of secrets'

Tom's head whipped up to look at Harry, "seriously?"

"Seriously. They live in the forest and there's a whole swarm of them. Nearly ate Ron and myself"

Tom pinched the bridge of his nose, "you went into an acromantula's nest and came out alive." Tom wondered whether Harry ever stopped getting into life endangering situations.

"Yeah, Hagrid told us to follow the spiders for clues on the Chamber when he was shipped off to Azkaban, so we followed them into the forest then they attacked us but Ron's dad's car came to save us. We flew it to Hogwarts in second year." Harry grinned behind the stack of books.

"Do you ever stop getting yourself into trouble?" Tom muttered, picking out a book two books that Harry should probably read.

"Well I'm shopping with you, the oh so famous you-know-who, so no," and Harry was completely unprepared for the Dark Lord to snort in amusement as he placed the two books on top of Harry's pile called, 'A Standard Guide to Ancient Runes' and 'An Introduction to Arithmancy'. Harry looked up, asking a silent question.

"Though they may not be the most exciting subjects they are rather useful, I think you'll find them interesting, even if you were just taking the other two to get an easy O" Tom answered, disappearing down another aisle and Harry looked back to the books, thinking he'd never actually considered what interested him, so he teetered down the aisle the Dark Lord had disappeared down nearly falling over from the weight of the books.

"Hold on, why do I have to carry these, you're the one without the trace." Harry complained, tripping over his undone shoelace and sending the books flying into the air.

Wincing Harry was ready for them to fall on the ground, but they stopped their trajectory in the air and just hovered instead. Harry looked at Tom who had a hand held out and the books floated down to form a neat stack in his hand. Gaping Harry stared as Tom reached up to a bookshelf and plucked down another book, handing it to him, Harry glanced down to read the title 'Wandless Magiks' by the same author who had written the mind magics book sitting hidden in his room at the Dursley's, before glancing up and realising Tom has disappeared again.

------♔------

The pair were now sitting outside Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour, Harry had ordered treacle tart flavoured ice cream, while Tom got coffee flavoured ice cream and Harry pretended to gag, earning him a laugh.

It was completely absurd, Harry thought, that he was sitting with the Dark Lord having ice-cream and no one was any wiser. Harry felt a slight pressure in his head and realised that one he had been staring at the Dark Lord and his disgusting flavoured ice cream and two the man was trying legilimency on him.