Chapter Eleven

Halfway back to my place I got a message from Gaia saying she wouldn't be able to make it to study for the history test because of an emergency on the home front. With a few words of reassurance I shot a text back over to her and shut my phone down. "Do you want to study with me?" Edward asked, casting his gaze over to me. "I am an expert on all things history."

"Listen here primary source." I paused to hold back a laugh. "I would like someone to study with because I cannot study to save my life." With a cheeky smile I passed my gaze back out the window as the green ocean of trees zipped past.

"Well in that case," Edward countered, "do you want me to stop so you can get some study snacks?"

"No I should be fine my dad is bringing burgers and shakes from Donnie's tonight to celebrate being back at school." I realized I still had his jacket on at this point, and also that it smelled of honeysuckle, trees, and musk. I played with the edge of the gray tweed jacket as we slowed to a stop in front of my house and Edward got out and grabbed both my bag and my crutch from the back of the car before helping me from my seat. "Front door this time not the window spider monkey- eh?"

"Your wish is my command" And unexpectedly I was then wooshed up to the front door where I was left to retrieve my key and allow us entry. Once through the door I was swept away to my room and plopped on my bed with my stuff. "Be right back" Edward said with a grin and zipped away again. As I sat there in my room I looked around completely confused for a few seconds. Something in this room was different, I couldn't quite figure out what it was so I pushed the feeling to the back of my mind and began fishing out my history book. Once Edward returned he revealed he was moving the car and grabbing his own books to create the illusion he needed to study history in the first place.

"So prohibition. How was that? Did you take part in speakeasies?" I grabbed his arm with wide eyes and gasped. "Do you know how to do the Charleston!?"

"Yes," he chuckled, "though I don't feel you're exactly in the shape to learn such an intense dance right now."

"Well obviously you'll have to teach me when I'm not sore anymore." I joked as I flipped to the page in my history book that contained all my notes and the test guide. Studying with Edward proved more to be him snorting at incorrect details or just staring at me as I read a passage. We both laid side by side on my bed with our heads pointed towards the foot of the bed. The sun was setting and that early autumn gold washed through my window as the clouds broke again for the second time today. The brilliance of Edward's skin shining next to me caught my attention and I found myself staring mesmerized at his hand that rested just beside my own. I found my mind wandering about what it must feel like.

The appearance is so sharp it's like a diamond but surely it had to be smooth. What would be the evolutionary benefit to the diamond appearance? Maybe attention grabbing? No... mating? Perhaps- oh. Oh that's right. Shit.

I slowly moved my gaze to see Edward staring at me, his eyes locking to mine. I bit my lip hard and tried not to laugh as I felt my cheeks redden, unable to tear my eyes from his. The knowledge that I never needed to find a way to verbalize something when he was around settled easy for me. I had always struggled to find the words when it was so clear in my mind. Before I knew it Edward's face was moving closer to mine, or was it mine to his? I wasn't entirely sure but what I did know is his fingers were in my hair and my hand against his chest as our lips found each other. It was a soft kiss at first, my eyes slowly falling closed but the brilliance of the sunlight against his face still peaking through my eyelids. Slowly my hands found the edge of his shirt and tugged softly before exploring his chiseled abdomen underneath. "Stop" Edward mumbled against the kiss, to which I immediately dropped my hands and pulled away from his face, my breathing heavy. "Your dad." With that he had launched himself and his book from my bed and onto the floor in the shadows where he made himself look like he had been there all along. I was still breathless when I heard him approaching my door. Quickly I threw my attention to my book and waited patiently for him to open the door, my mind racing.

"Hey hon who's car is in the-" the door opened and my father stared at Edward. "Well hello."

"Oh dad this is Edward Cullen, Doctor Cullen's son," I gestured casually to him as I looked up from my book. "We are studying for the history test." I tried not to panic as I gave a quick smile and rolled tenderly onto my side to face him.

"Well okay then." He scratched the back of his head and cleared his throat. "Well nice to meet you son, I unfortunately didn't bring enough food for three I thought it was just me and Arabella tonight..." He looked around and then rocked on his heels for a moment.

"Oh that's fine sir I have to leave soon anyways." Edward gave his most charming smile that made my heart do flips.

"Anyways Ara- door open." He knocked on the door before backing out of the room. "Foods on the table!"

I turned and looked at Edward covering my face and laughing. "I'm so sorry." I whispered and closed my eyes as I laughed into my hands. Edward got up and grabbed his jacket from the heap on my bed where I had shrugged it off at some point. He gathered his own books and smiled at me.

"You don't need to apologize." He leaned down and kissed me softly on my lips, so fleeting and quick it was almost a brush. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yeah." I smiled back to him and watched as he walked from the room pulling his hood up over his head. I scrambled up out of my bed as quick as I could manage and hobbled to the window, watching him climb into his car and drive away. With a sigh I grabbed my crutch up, and worked my way down the stairs to meet my father at the kitchen table.

"So..." my father wiggled his eyebrows. "Boys then huh?"

"Dad!"

"No no! I'm not judging! Just definitely isn't my area of expertise, maybe if it were women I might be able to help." He chuckled as I threw a fry at him from my seat. "Listen I know you don't have a lot of women in your life who can give you dating advice... maybe... maybe Billy's girls?"

"Dad! Please! I'm good, I really don't need help."

"Oh well that doesn't lower my level of concern." He froze with a burger halfway to his mouth and just stared at me.

"No, not like that. I'm not doing anything that wouldn't be approved." I bit into the burger and felt my stomach groan.

"Yeah well Mary wound up pregnant under approved activities so forgive me if I don't believe that."

"Nothing displeases me more than bringing a child into this world. Trust me." I said as I swallowed down some strawberry shake to wash the burger down.

"Listen kid as long as you graduate without a child in your arms or in your... you know what... I'll feel like a success of a father. Do that for me?" He looked at me with that serious dad look and a furrowed brow.

"This uterus is off limits." I spoke the words knowing they would make him make a pained expression, and was not disappointed. After dinner Maddie and my dad retired to the couch with a big bottle of scotch and I retired to my own room. Standing in the doorway I continued to look around, something was definitely different, something was missing but I couldn't figure out what it was. I gave up trying to figure it out and instead plugged my phone in, shut off my light, and tucked myself nearly into my bed.