Chapter Forty Three

Gaia's POV

The dance

The music was so loud I felt the beats echo in my chest as I laughed at Paul's attempt to playfully grind on me. With a quick glance around I saw everyone enjoying themselves, especially Ari and Ang who happened to be laughing as they danced ridiculously. My heart felt so happy even as the music slowed and Paul took my hand and spun me before grabbing my hips to sway to the slowed rhythm. I locked my hands behind his neck and stared up into his eyes. One more dance then back to the beverages. I thought to myself, relishing the closeness of the boy I had fallen for. "Alright guys and Ghouls! We are going to keep it slow for one more song and then it's party time again!" The DJ called out, slowly fading the music to another soft tempo.

"Okay babe, I have to dance with Ara, tradition demands it."

"Well who am I to stand in the way of tradition?" Paul smiled sweetly before giving me one final spin and parting from me. "I'll be by the punch if you need me." He gave me a flashing grin before threading through the crowd expertly. I made my way to Ari, who had already separated from Ang the same I had from Paul.

I landed my hands on her shoulders and we started jokingly swaying like we were at a middle school dance during a slow song before folding in and hugging like we always did. "Better than last year?" I asked with a smile.

"Absolutely." She grinned back, looking around at the decorations. "We outdid ourselves, I think it's time we go into retirement for this dance, maybe take over the Homecoming committee, they never do it justice."

"Please, hoco is the minor leagues!" I laughed, shaking my head and adjusting my mask as It pushed my eyelashes down and clouded my vision slightly. "We are going to maintain our control on the Prom committee, and then also take over the senior breakfast and graduation planning."

"Doesn't the admin office plan those?" Arabella furrowed her brow at me in the way she never realized she did.

Mischief filled my chest as I shrugged and evilly cackled my words out. "I'm not against corporate espionage if it looks good on my college applications."

"There has to be something in that punch, you're willing to go a tad bit further than I thought." Ari poked my ribs as she laughed along with me.

"Anything for a good college rec." I stuck my tongue out and flashed my eyes wildly.

"Okay, well as soon as this song ends I have to pee, so don't start your scheming until I get back okay?" Arabella smiled, and looked at me expectantly. At the same time the tempo picked up and we broke apart, I watched her mouth to Ang that she would be back before heading in the opposite direction of the punch table. I smiled as I headed back to Paul's side, my arms twining around his as I placed my chin on his bicep and looked up at him.

"Hey." He smiled down at me. "Do you think we could sneak off for a moment to talk?" My heart began hammering in my chest, suddenly worried that his version of talking was the same version that ended my previous relationship. "Not like that!" He seemed to read my face in that moment, understanding immediately that fear had raked my body.

"Oh, phew, okay!" I set my forehead against the same spot my chin had previously rested. "Yeah, I'm sure the freshman grunts won't mind watching the punch for a song or two, I've let them shirk their duties most the night anyway." I scanned the crowd for the Freshman Class President and flagged him over. "Hey! Paul and I need a break for some fresh air, watch the punch table please."

"Oh yeah! Take your time, my feet are killing me anyway." He smiled, I was pretty sure his name was Julian but I wouldn't put my money on it.

"Fantastic, thank you!" I took Paul's hand and began pulling him out the front door of the gym. I threw one last glance at the dance, my eye catching Angela walking a very green looking freshman towards the nurse's office.