Chapter Fifty Five

"Blessing?" I muttered, shock breaking through me as the fear slightly ebbed away. Gaia gasped, her hand still extended like it was when the phone had been plucked from her grasp.

She nodded at her name, confirming my thoughts, before she finally spoke. "Did Mama never tell you... that you have a sister?" She looked stunned for a moment before shaking her head.

"I wasn't told a lot of things." I breathed out, trying to focus my eyes on the envelope for a second before trying to pin back on her. She still shimmered in the light, making my eyes squint slightly against it as she stepped forward hesitantly, entering a small shadow and easing the effect.

"Grandmama gave me this after Mama died, well she gave me the letter that had it inside." Blessing said tentatively, an obvious nervous energy radiating off of her as she remained a few paces away from me. She held up a locket that I could just make out the picture in. It was Alice, and I knew it for a fact, even though it was an old picture she always looked the same.

"How did you... become a vampire?" I asked as I stared at her, turning the cream colored envelope over in my hands and pulling the letter out slowly.

"A few days after Mama's funeral there was a vampire at the house." She paused, clearly trapped in the memory. "Her name was Maria. I don't remember much because that was when she bit me. Don't think she knew I had this letter in my back pocket, because when I woke up... I was what I am now, and she said I was her new soldier."

"Why did she want you?" I shook my head, unfolding the letter as I kept my eyes glued on Blessing.

"Maria had said something about hearing stories of our bloodline." Blessing said the word "bloodline" with an almost bitter tone. "And she is one of the southern covens who build armies."

"Armies?" I shook my head in disbelief. "And what stories, none of this makes any sense." It took everything in me to not crumple the paper in my hands, now fully unfolded, despite the fact that I kept my eyes glued to Blessing. My awareness for my surroundings entirely dropped, as now I realized I had lost track of Gaia and her movements as she remained entirely silent.

Blessing just nodded, like she had gone through all the confusion I had already. It seemed like she was now finding some kind of sick comfort in the idea that I was just as confused as she had once been. "After Mama's funeral, Grandmama told me that everything would make sense eventually. Said that in her last moment's Mama told her I had to go to Washington. Said that's where you were." She tipped her head forward and sighed. "I think Mama would want you to read that letter."

I nodded and tipped my eyes down to the paper, the familiar swoop of the writing made me chew my lip. The paper of this letter looked almost like it wasn't as old as mine, like maybe my bio mom had lived longer than she suspected. But she never came back for me. My brain angrily nagged.

Dear Beatrice,

My sweet little Blessing. I am so sorry I have to leave you, but I hope it will keep you safe, my love. Grandmama will watch over you, but I had to take your baby sister somewhere else years ago. She will come back to you one day, make sure you are ready when she does. Tell her all about me baby, tell her about her Mama and Papa.

I will watch over both of you, I swear I will. If I do everything right I will never have to give you this letter and we can find Arabella together, I would love to have you grow up together. You deserve a family.

My heart shattered and I took a deep breath, feeling Gaia's supportive hand stroking my back gently. I had almost forgotten she was here, but the sun still shone down on us and the time for the parade still ticked down. I tried to calm myself as I focused on the facts. I had a sister? I have a sister. Her name is Beatrice, my bio mom, our bio mom, called her Blessing. She's... real? She stands right in front of me and yet it still feels like a dream, even now as I watch her glimmer in the sunlight and create spots in my vision. I have a sister. The thought just didn't feel right, so I kept reading, skimming past the words of endearment and love for the daughter "mama" actually raised.