VIII - always been a delicate disaster

Everything had happened so quickly.

Chan had woken up, immediately attacked Jeongin, before being pulled off by Jisung. Jeongin couldn't have said what happened next in detail; the two of them had fought in blurs of motion, ending with Jisung pinning Chan to the ground.

Jisung must have been trying to persuade Chan to come to his senses. They'd had a brief conversation, and since the situation had been under control, Jeongin had tuned out of it.

His attention had focused on Hyunjin, who had started to stir. And then suddenly his eyes had been open.

"He's woken up!" Minho called out to the others.

"RUN AWAY!" Cried Chan's voice. "GET AWAY FROM HIM!"

Changbin came running towards where the rest of them were. "Do as he says!" He said, his tone leaving no room for argument.

They began running. Jeongin didn't dare look back, although he could hear the sounds of more fighting. All he could do right now was beg that his legs could get him away, as his body was pumped with adrenaline and fear.

Having to run again not so long after their first escape from the police was excruciating. Jeongin could feel his stamina running out, sharp pain in his chest as he wheezed out in an attempt to keep breathing. He saw the others in front of him, the distance between them getting slightly larger, and he tried to keep up.

They were no longer on a path, they were running through the overgrown forest, tripping over tree roots and getting tangled in the shrubbery. Branches would spring into their faces, nettles would sting their ankles, but they didn't stop.

He could hear footsteps behind him growing closer, like someone sprinting. He didn't look back, focusing on going forward and getting through the obstacles before him.

He pushed a tree branch out of his way, it swung back, and there was a loud hiss behind him. He looked over his shoulder to see Hyunjin standing still, holding a hand over his eye. His fangs were still bared, but he was no longer chasing them.

"What happened?" Minho whispered, as all of them came to a stop as well(a good distance away from where Hyunjin stood, of course).

"It was that tree." Jeongin murmured.

Hyunjin seemed to pick up on Jeongin's words, and he ducked underneath the branch, walking forwards. This time he approached them slowly, clearly in pain.

"You smell... good..." He rasped. His visible eye was wide and bloodshot, staring so unblinkingly. And then he lowered his hand to reveal the other.

The skin around it looked burnt, it was an angry red. And there was blood seeping out of a scratch across the eyeball, pooling at the bottom of the socket. It spilled out, a red droplet running down his face, eventually mixing with tears that began flowing too.

"I know that you don't want to hurt us, Hyunjin." Jeongin said softly, hoping to dissuade him. Although if they couldn't outrun him, then what could possibly override his instincts?

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Felix move. Ever so slowly, he was approaching the tree that had hurt Hyunjin. Jeongin's eyes widened in understanding, and he realised he had to keep talking, stall for as long as possible.

"You can control it, I know you can. You're stronger than this."

Hyunjin didn't slow down, but his face tensed. "Make it stop..." He whispered. 

"We can make it stop. But not here. And not by hurting us."

There was a loud snap as Felix tore off a branch from the tree, and held it out like a makeshift sword. Hyunjin turned around at the noise, and began walking towards him.