CLASSICAL MUSLIMAH: 17

Umariri Songhai, Maiduguri, Nigeria.
Friday 5th April, 2018.

The whole house was bustling with activities, old women were yodeling to aggravate the celebration, phones were pinging with congratulatory messages, people were trooping in and out, cars were coming and going and people were smiling as though they were the newly wedded bride.

Yes, Eesh has just been tied to Abulkhair and all the bridesmaids had been waiting to hear her phone ring and how Abulkhair would announce it to her. They were surrounding her, some on pillows, some on the bed, some on the cushion and some on stools.

Immediately Eesh's phone rang, they all got closer so they could hear every single thing that was being said. As she put the phone to her ear, Ruqayya gestured to her to put it on hands free mode, and she did.

"Assalamu Alaikum." Eesh replied his salam.

"We're now one qalb, congratulations to us. I love you." Eesh cringed inwardly.

"I love you more, babe." Series of awws went off in the room as Abulkhair ended the call. They all loved how he kept it short and simple, yet romantic. It was a beautiful sight.

Few minutes later Abulkhair arrived with his groomsmen, he was dressed in a white brocade with white babban riga, while his groomsmen all had different colors on them.

Eesh was brought down to him and they were left alone to have their first 'couple's moment' as the others called it. Eesh was wearing a white lace sewn to perfection into a wedding dress with a long trail, queen Anne neckline and raglan sleeves. The dress was tight to the bust and then flowing downwards. Silver shoes adorned her feet and diamond jewelry adorned her ears, neck and finger. Her head tie was done in the simple pleats.

"Trust me, marrying me is going to be your worst nightmare." Eesh whispered in his ear and awws were heard. They realized the door was open and they had to act all lovey-dovey to each other so Abulkhair initiated the first hug which was gotten on camera.

"We agreed to make this work so stop being a child. You don't know what I've given up just for this." Abulkhair whispered back in her ears as he rubbed her back all in the name of hug.

"I didn't ask you to sacrifice nothing so that's your cross to bear, not mine." Eesh hissed lowly as they let go of each other smiling widely to enunciate the fact that they were really in love.

After the short photo shoot, Abulkhair left with his groomsmen while Eesh was taken upstairs to eat so the could leave. People were soon going to start trooping in for the wuni and the bride isn't supposed to be seen so she's going to be taken out of the house.

The clothes Eesh was going to wear and everything else that was needed were put in a car and Eesh was taken to her father for the fada {admonishing}.

"Aishatu na, please forgive me. I don't know, I feel like I'm ruining your life," Alhaji Muhammad said holding his daughter's henna-stained hands with tear-filled eyes. He knew the deed had already been done and there was no use seeking for forgiveness but he felt guilty. Even though it was for her own good, deep down, he knew she was going to hate him if she found out. But he had kept alot for secrets for years so why did he feel like that one tiny one was like a huge bolder on his neck?

"Daddyn baddo, I've told you. I've prayed Istikhara. You're not ruining my life In Shaa Allah. Allah sees your heart and He knows your intentions." Her last sentence pierced through his heart like a heated dagger. He knew she only said it to make him feel good, but it did nothing but aggravate his guilt, and rightly so. At that moment, he felt like telling her everything he had been hiding but of what use would it be? He would just be exposing her to danger. So it was only sensible of him to keep to himself.