Chapter 31 - Aster

Distantly, footsteps ring down the hall

Distantly, footsteps ring down the hall. My eyes snap open, greeted only by a darkness that weighs heavy in this windowless, torchless room.

Propped against a wooden wall, hands tied, body aching, I wrack my pounding brain as to why these people have imprisoned me. It's not as if I have any political power yet; I'm only the Second Son to come. Even Agraund wouldn't listen to me.

Ransom's the only thing I can come up with, and even then, there's no way for them to be sure I didn't inform my family when I got the letter. For all these people know, everyone at the castle could be aware of exactly where I am. The mystery of it rattles me.

The steps stop just outside the door. A shifting like metal being lifted off metal echoes through the space, and the door creaks as it opens.

Silhouetted in the entrance is a tall woman in a royal-blue evening gown, blonde hair cascading down her elegant shoulders. Her golden skin screams of my home nation, but I haven't even the beginning of an idea as to why a Morineause woman would imprison me.

A sly smile creeps onto her face. "Aster, Aster... It's been a long time. You've grown."

My eyes narrow. She brushes a hair from her face, and a ruby ring glints in the light. Wait. That ring

Chilled recognition shudders through me. "Amarris," I murmur.

"Lady, dear. Lady Amarris."

I shake my head, nostrils flaring. "You forfeited that title the moment you sold state secrets for a blood-colored rock."

"Oh, this?" She examines the back of her hand. "This was just the start of it." Her hand drops to her side. "No, I'm after a much bigger prize." She paces forward, heels tapping the ground. The door clangs shut behind her, light filtering in from an opened hatch.

"What do you want from me?" The rope bites my wrists. "I have nothing to offer a traitor."

"Traitor, dear? Such a harsh word, especially to a woman who knew you when you were just a baby. I'm no traitor."

Despite the fear buzzing within me, I bark a short laugh. "Even if you weren't before, kidnapping and holding a member of the royal family is a federal crime. The only way Morineaux would want you is if you showed up for trial."

She closes the distance between us, crouching. Her fingers tilt my chin up. "Morineaux will never hold me in its court, Aster, unless it is as a Lady. Let's get that straight right now."

Her cold, steely eyes send chills through me, but I refuse to let her see me unsettled. "All that needs straightened is your morals, Amarris. You're nothing but a simple crook."

She laughs, rising. "Still the little idealist you were at eleven, Aster? Shame." She paces the room, skirts swishing behind her. "So, here's the heart of the matter. You're in my house, under my custody, and I would imagine you didn't bother telling your family where you were running off to. Wouldn't want to disappoint dear Uncle Agraund, now would we?" A snake's smile slithers to her lips.

I consider lying to her, promising that Agraund knows exactly where I am. But the truth hits me—if that were the case, I would have had a whole entourage traveling with me and wouldn't look like I've been sleeping in the gutter. She'd see right through it. "What do you want, Amarris?"

She spreads her hands. "Just a few answers. If you cooperate, I might even help you get back home. Sound like a deal?"

"Ask away, maedame." A dry smile twitches my lips at the intended slight.

The light in her eyes turns hard. "I said, my title is that of a Lady, and while you are in my house, you will address me as such. Are we understood?"

"And my title is that of a prince, no matter whose house I am in." I hold her gaze. Without my casting materials or rapier, my only defense is confidence. The moment I seem powerless is the moment she gets everything she wants from me.

She stands there glaring, for once no condescending comeback at the ready. "Well, then," she clips. "To business, shall we?" She resumes her pacing. "How many troops are stationed in the capital?"

I lean against the wall disinterestedly. "I'm not the First Son, Amarris. I don't have access to that kind of information. And what would it matter if I did? Do you plan to fight the Morineause army on your own?"

Her smile slides back into place. "Don't worry, dear. I know how to take care of my own business. Now, an estimate. You have to have some idea at least."

"There's enough that any attack is a suicide mission." At least, I hope. There should be; Morineaux is the strongest country, which should mean that she has more than a formidable army within her capital's gates. But even if there's not, there isn't a chance I'd tell Amarris that.

"Oh, I know you're proud of your country, but don't get cocky."

"So you admit it's no longer your country?"

A smirk plays at my mouth, and she sighs dramatically. "Too bad your brother has better sense than you do, or I would have lured him here instead."

I laugh. Ren is about as sensible as a potted plant unless he's talking battlefield strategy.

She faces me, countenance darkening. "You're negotiating for your freedom here, Aster. You'd best answer my questions."

I shrug. "I have answered you. For some reason, you don't seem to appreciate my efforts."

Her eyes narrow. "Battle casters, then. How many?"

"Every wizard in the castle is a battle caster." Some of them are only amateurs in that respect, but still.

Her hand makes a dismissive gesture. "Throwing pebbles at the enemy with your mind doesn't count. How many are trained for battle?"

"All of them. I would have thought an interrogator would be better at listening."

"Boy, quit dodging my questions"—she stops, stoops, and locks my gaze, face only inches from mine—"and answer me properly."

One second passes.

Two.

"No."

Fire flashes in her eyes, and she slaps me. My head snaps to the side, cheek stinging.

"Fine. You don't want to talk?" She smiles venomously. "That's okay, dear. You will soon enough."

She stands, sweeping out of the room. The door clangs shut behind her, and the sound of the bar dropping back to its place rings.

My head droops, ear ringing as I take stilling breaths. I just have to wait this out; eventually, Agraund will find me.

Because the anti-scrying spell ran out last night.