Chapter 38 - Sean

During my lunch break, I stand nervously outside a servant's entrance to the manor

During my lunch break, I stand nervously outside a servant's entrance to the manor. I attempt a casual lean on the wall to avoid looking suspicious.

I'm pretty sure I only look more uncomfortable.

Frustrated, I push off the wall and pace. Then I come to a stop and run a hand down my face. Pacing doesn't make me look any more innocent.

Innocent? I haven't done anything wrong.

Yet.

A frustrated noise escapes me. I need to calm down.

The door opens, and I jump, giving a startled yelp.

The out-of-breath Leavi peeking from the door shoots me a glare. "What was that?" she hisses.

"Shut up. Do you have it?"

"Yes." She digs a key from her dress's pocket. "Hurry, though. I still have to take it back, and I almost got caught nicking it."

"That's not my fault!" I take it. "Why do I have to pay for the mistake?"

An exasperated look fills her face. "Just hurry."

I nod, steadying my breathing, and walk back toward the stables, key in my pocket.

Pulling a fence gate closed, Master Heizer rumbles, "What're you doin' back so soon?"

Blazes. I need an excuse and quick. I can't afford him forcing me back to work. Leavi still needs this key.

"Um, forgot..." I point vaguely. "Something."

He raises an eyebrow at me but thankfully doesn't question it. "Well, get movin'."

I nod once, grateful, and hurry behind the stable. I scoop up a shovel and head for a small pile of horse feces that I left out here. Using the shovel, I move an even smaller amount to a patch of sunlight and flatten it into a thick circle. I toss the shovel aside and kneel.

Cringing, I gently press the key into the muck, trying to keep it as even as possible. The key comes level with the surface of the circle, and I let go. From my pocket, I take a pair of tweezers and extract the key from the mold. A bit of the manure clings to the key, and I wash it off in a nearby water pail.

Now I just have to hope that Heizer doesn't see the mold and destroy it.

I tuck the key into my pocket and hurry back to Leavi. She's anxiously tapping her foot. "Why did that take so long?"

"It didn't. Now go away." I pass her the key. "Get that back where it came from. We'll have to wait for the mold to dry."

She takes a deep breath and disappears through the door.

Tense at the situation and yet relieved my part is done, I quickly eat lunch and walk back to the stables. When work is over, I hurry around back to retrieve the mold. Kneeling, I gently test the edge to see if it's hardened and sturdy enough to survive the trip to the inn.