Chapter 33 - Aster

It's hard to keep track of time here

It's hard to keep track of time here. The lack of light alone makes the days and nights warp, but the lack of food makes it worse. They've only brought me bread crusts twice. They let me have a little water with it, but it was hardly enough to wet my throat. I have no idea when they're bringing it, though, so I still can't measure.

I think it's been three days.

My head aches and my hands shake, even tied as they are behind my back. I sleep and wake up, somehow still tired. I long for company. The person that comes to feed me is the only one I've seen since Amarris, and he always refuses to speak. The only interesting thing he does is cast what looks like the anti-scrying spell on me. His motions are bumbling, pronunciation stilted, but no matter how much of a novice he may be, the spell still seems to take effect.

Help is a much more distant dream now.

The door opens, and Amarris stalks in, easy self-assurance radiating off her in venomous waves.

Inwardly, I curse my inattention; if I'd been listening better, I would've been able to prepare myself. Instead, I look exactly as she wants—starved, weak, and broken.

Since she's already here, though, I don't move. I relax, comfortable and indifferent. She will not have the pleasure of thinking me ready to grovel.

"Hello, dear. Do you feel a little more cooperative yet?"

I level my gaze.

She narrows her eyes. "Let's try a different line of questions. How many ways are there into the castle? There has to be another entrance besides the gate."

A spike of fear runs through me as my mind darts to the secret door in the wall, but I stay quiet.

She purses her lips, perfectly manicured nails tip-tapping against her ring. "You will talk to me."

Nothing.

Sharply, she steps forward, heels clacking against the stone. "Speak, boy!"

I press my lips together.

"Well," she spits, pacing the small room. "I suppose I shouldn't have expected you to be helpful—it's not like you're usually good for anything." She barks out a laugh. "For goodness' sakes, all anyone would have to do to run Morineaux to the ground is kill that self-righteous idiot Agraund and put you in charge!"

My jaw clenches against my will. She catches it, turning to face me. "Sensitive topic, dear?"

I don't reply.

"Well." Her skirt swishes forward. "Aster... Aster, Aster." Her voice turns soft, intimate. "I think I might be able to help you. I have friends, you know. People skilled with magic beyond your wildest dreams." She kneels in front of me. "They could teach you things. Things you could take back to Morineaux. Things that could make you the most powerful Second Son since Jacqueline's child. Agraund would be a novice compared to what you could do." She catches my gaze and holds it.