Chapter 8

Jordan stepped out of the shower and wiped the steam off the mirror, wrapping a towel tightly around his waist as he walked out into the hall. It was still early in the morning and he didn’t expect Lydia to be awake anytime soon, but when he turned the corner of the hallway to go change in the other room so he didn’t have to disturb her, he bumped into no other than the strawberry blonde herself.

And he almost nearly dropped his towel in the process.

“L-Lydia, I didn’t know you were awake,” he stammered, tightening his grip on the towel as he saw her blatantly stare at him, a blush rising in her cheeks and he was sure that his face was similar. He swallowed hard. “I was just going to go change in the other room—”

“Why are you walking around naked in the first place?!” Lydia huffed, turning away and crossing her arms, but Jordan noticed the way she stole glances towards him.

He hid the smile that crossed his lips and stepped around her, stifling down the chuckle as he leaned in close to her ear to whisper, “Well, it is my apartment, so…”

She smacked his shoulder playfully, and he laughed, only mumbling an apology when she shot him a look. “The bathroom’s all yours so you can take a shower if you want. Do you need clean clothes? I think I might have something for you to wear, you know if you’re okay with going out with sweats and an oversized t-shirt.” He flashed her a smile and she scoffed.

“It might be hard for you to believe deputy, but I’ve worn sweats before,” she started, rolling her eyes at him and that only made his smile grew wider.

“Not hard for me to believe at all, ma’am,” he said, earning another eye roll for her as he fished out a pair of sweats and a t-shirt that didn’t show how much of a lame Star Wars nerd he was, although she did catch a peek at his Darth Vader boxers and giggled, making his face turn a bright pink after she sauntered away to his bathroom.

After changing into his work pants but staying shirtless, not wanting to soil his work shirt while making breakfast, he headed towards the kitchen to quickly make some eggs and bacon, figuring Lydia was probably hungry and food would be good for her especially after what happened last night. His mind goes back to the prior night’s events and even though he didn’t doubt that she had seen someone prying around her house, he couldn’t wrap his mind around why someone would do that. He had assured by saying that it was probably just neighborhood kids, but even he knew that it was most likely not. He couldn’t help but think whether someone was after Lydia again. Although the deadpool was over, maybe someone knew that if she had such a high bounty over her head, she was something special and could probably come to some sort of use.

It made his jaw clench just thinking about it. Lydia was just an eighteen year old girl who went to high school and had a far more brilliant mind than anyone he ever met, but he would be lying to himself if he didn’t admit that she was much more than that. She had been through so much, but instead of letting it weaken her, let it crumble her to the point of no return, she let it harden herself and keep her strong. Sure, he’s seen her frustrated over her powers, especially after the deaths of the two kids and now another kid was missing, but even then she wasn’t going to give up on them, or even on him in this case, with the amount of work she was doing to help him figure out what he was.

And that, that was what made her amazing to him.