Kendyll x Moemoea: Inside or out.

(Note, that this little oneshot is based off of true events. Just made it more story fitting.)

       Indigo, a juvenile moemoea, is grazing at some berries that have managed to grow in the vast and harsh desert. Where they grew was  good place though. The soil under the sand was damp, always holding water whenever it rained. That's what made these bushes grow to the perfect size with berries. Her favorites were the blue and pink ones. She didn't like the yellow ones, because they were sour.

       She was about to pick a large, ripe blue berry off until she heard the cry of a kendyll. She was frightened for a moment, expecting to see a large, spiked, brutal reptile charging at her with bloodstained teeth. Instead, she saw only a pitch black kendyll, her age, running from what seemed to be a knarliki and momola, surprisingly the same age the kendyll and herself was. 

       Indigo didn't want to see this poor kendyll get picked on by creatures it could easily kill, especially since the knarliki and momola could just eat berries like her. No, Indigo didn't want to see this nor tolerated such actions. She decided to do something about it. 

       She began charging at them, aiming for the knarliki. It wasn't fast enough to react as she locked her keratin jaws onto it's back, making the scrawny reptile shriek with surprise and pain. Indigo tossed the Knarliki into a rocky pillar. It ran away in a panic, and she turned to see the momola strutting away on it's two thin legs.

       The kendyll was left bleeding and poisoned severely. Indigo knew she had to do something. She couldn't just leave them there to die. What if the knarliki and momola come back after they heal?

       Indigo slowly came to stand by, looking around for the attackers and then down at the kendyll. He had so many scars, bleeding a lot, probably from the knarliki. 

       "Please don't hurt me!" The kendyll whimpered, squinting his eyes shut expecting to be killed or thrown like the knarliki. 

       "Relax," Indigo said, looking down at the kendyll, trying to calm him down. "I chased them away. They're gone." She bent down to lick the blood off his open wounds. "Why did they attack you?"

       The kendyll looked pained and guilty. The corners of his eyes started to tear up as he held back a sob. "They...they attacked me because I'm a kendyll." He sniffled. 

       Indigo felt so, so much more bad for him. She couldn't imagine what that would feel like, being hated and attacked on just for being a certain species no other creatures liked. She placed one of her front paws on his shoulder. "They attacked you because they were scared of you." She said.

       "A-Afraid?" He asked, confused. "Afraid of what?"

       Indigo looked down at him, then at the sun setting behind the hills of the dunes. "Afraid of what you'll grow up to become." She said. "Most kendylls grow up to become ravenous, bloodthirsty brutes." She explained. "But..."

       The kendyll looked up at Indigo, waiting for her to finish. "But what?" she asked.

       Indigo looked back down at him. "But not all kendylls grow to kill." She said. "Some grow to protect." Indigo gazed at what was left of the sunset. "I hope you choose that path." She said, resting her tail over his.

       The kendyll smiled, sat up, and rested his head on her shoulder. "I will."