First Day of School

A young girl laid in bed with blankets wrapping her like a cocoon. Oblivious that she had hit the snooze button one too many times. Moving had taken a lot out of her. She was supposed to be up at 5:45am. It was now 6am, and she might have been late if not for her very caring mother.

"LINNEA NICOLE ANDERSON!" her mother yelled, "YOU'RE LATE!"

"Hmm, wha-?" A very groggy Linnea looked at her alarm clock. "OH SHI- "she threw her blankets off, ignoring the very loud thud of her phone hitting the floor. She'll have to deal with the repercussions of that later. Weaving through the boxes that littered her floor, she took a quick shower and got dressed in her new uniform. It really is a 'schoolgirl uniform' Linnea thought, skirt and everything. Every girl in school would be wearing the same thing. So, she decorated her school bag with as much as she could. Pins, keychains, even iron on patches. So much so, she almost jingled when she walked.

"Okay!" Linnea beamed, "Ready to go! ...Wait my phone." She walked over and slowly picked up her phone. She sighed in relief, no cracks. Before stepping out of her room, she sprayed a bit of vanilla perfume over herself. "Okay! Ready for real this time!" She closed her door and went downstairs two steps at a time. Reaching the kitchen, she hastily packed a lunch of consisting of a packet of animal crackers, and a premade frozen peanut butter and jelly. Not much but it'll have to do!

Her mother caught her as she was walking out the door. "I won't be home when you get out of school." She explained. "Feel free to pick something up for dinner. Don't go overboard."

"I won't, I won't." Linnea smiled thinking of how much take out she'd once ordered.

"There's also a piece of toast for you in the toaster. Have a good day love!"

"I will!" Linnea went to the toaster; the toast was burnt. She could hear her mother's laughter. That's what I get for not getting up earlier. She took the toast anyway and began her trek to school.

---

A young man laid sprawled over his bed. Blankets strewn over him and partially on the floor. His oldest brother, Masaomi, had nicely knocked on his door three times.

"Yusuke, you should get ready soon." He said, "If you stay in bed, you may not make it on time."

"I'll be up soon." Yusuke yawned, then drifted back asleep.

"Alright, have a good day."

Five more minutes passed, it was now 5:50am and his second oldest brother, Ukyo, knocked less nicely on his door.

"Yusuke." He opened the door and switched on the lights.

"Nooo," Yusuke pulled a blanket over his head, "turn the damn lights off."

"You're going to be late. You can turn them off yourself on your way out." Ukyo turned, leaving the lights on and door open.

Yusuke rolled over and hit the floor with a loud thud. "Jeez, okay, I'm up." He slowly got to his feet and closed the door. He took a quick shower, dressed, and braided his hair. On his dresser was his favourite necklace that his mother had given him. He never went anywhere without it. Yusuke put it on and grabbed his schoolbag. This year he decided to add some pins and keychains to its bland exterior. Gathering up his stuff, he looked at the nail polish sitting on his desk. The night before he had thought about wearing some to school. The idea fizzled out as he was afraid of how the kids at school and his brothers would react. Leaving his room, he made his way to the main level to try and get some breakfast.

His brothers were all over the main level. Ukyo was making breakfast and packing lunches. Kaname was lounging on the couch. The twins, Tsubaki and Azusa were at the table. Masaomi was helping Wataru pack for school. Everyone else was presumably at work, asleep, or doing their own personal activities.