62 ~ Long Year Ahead

"Take care of yourself?" Uncle Moony asks, holding me close.

"I will. Write to me?"

"Of course."

A bark sounded next to me. I kneel down and come face to face with Dad's wet little nose.

"I know, I know. Stay out of trouble. Write if I need you. Don't get caught with pranks. I'll see you soon, Dad," I whisper, scratching behind his ear. I stand up and take Fred's hand. As I board the train and find a compartment I look out the window to get one last look at them.

Tonks rests her head on Uncle Moony's shoulder. The feeling I felt not so long ago tugs on me. I slightly blush and wave goodbye. Dad starts running around, chasing his tail. Then he barks.

Once... twice... thrice.

I smile softly.

I... love... you.

The train starts picking up speed. Dad runs with the train, but soon we're out of view of each other. "I love you too, Dad," I whisper under my breath, feeling small tears prick at the back of my eyes. My heart breaks a little. I won't see him 'till Christmas. My only parent left.

Fred grabs my hand and squeezes it. "You alright, love?"

"I am. Thank you, Freddie," I say. He wraps his arms around me and I lean into his touch as he places a kiss on my forehead.

"Try getting some rest," he whispers into my hair.

----------

Fred and I walk hand in hand behind Harry, Ron, Mione, and George. We walk in comfortable silence. He nudged my shoulder slightly, and I nudged him back. We both smile and stare into each other's eyes, making us burst into quiet laughter.

As long as I have Fred, I know I'll make it through the year.

He untangles his hand from mine and snakes it around my waist, bringing me close to him. I smirk and drop my head slightly before snapping it up when someone shoves past me.

"I'm surprised the Ministry's still letting you walk around free, Potter," Malfoy says, walking arrogantly. "Better enjoy it while you can. I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it."

Harry launches himself at Malfoy. I slip out of Fred's arm and rush over to help. Ron grabs his arms and holds him back. I step between them, placing a hand on Harry's chest.

He glares at me. "Harry Potter's little protector," he snarls. His eyes flicker over to Harry and Ron then Mione. His face remains the same, but his eyes soften at the sight of her. Only enough for me to see.

"Fuck off," I hiss. He narrows his eyes at me again and starts walking off. He takes three steps before he turns around and stares at me.

The corner of his lips tugs upward, slightly. "Black. How was California? Enjoy your family time?" He smiles at me then winks.

Son of a bitch. Malfoy knows. Fred is next to me in an instant. Fists curled at his sides and wand out. I grab his fist and pry it open, slipping my hand in his. He can not start something this early in the year.

Malfoy then turns to Harry before turning to Crabbe and Goyle. "What'd I tell you? Complete nutter."

"Just stay away from me!" Harry bellows out. Ron lets him go and we slowly start walking towards the carriages.

We reach the carriages accompanied by Neville and Ginny who we found on the way here. The last carriage approaches and I turn to meet it. My mouth instantly falls open. I come face to face with a dark pink leather-skin creature. Its eyes are a hazy white that draws me in. A beautiful creature. Different, but beautiful.