1.1

TEA & TRICERATOPS

Edie had never thought she would have any other job than the one she had now. She knew people who had no idea what they wanted to do, but the thought of her dream job had been embedded in her mind ever since she could speak.

As she sat, eyes wandering over the paperwork in front of her, she questioned where she would be without her love for dinosaurs.

"Earth to Edie?"

The sudden noise from her friend caused Edie to jump slightly and almost spill her tea.

She recollected herself, "Sorry, my head was in the clouds." Mentally, she blamed the early morning.

"Next Friday do you want to do something?" Jess asked, "I have that Saturday off so we could go to the bar."

Edie smiled, forgetting the last time she and Jess had gone out as they had both been so busy with work. Edie was a professor at BUL (Brunel University London). Jess, however, was more technical; she dealt with programming and things to do with computers that Edie did not understand.

"Yeah, that sounds great," Edie agreed, finishing her tea that Jess had brought before it went cold.

The two had been friends for 13 years, having met at school- aged 11. Practically inseparable, Edie and Jess would meet at one of their respective apartments before work to catch up or they would meet for lunch or after for dinner. They also knew each other's colleagues. In fact, people often mistook them for sisters until they took the different hair colours properly into consideration.

Jess peered over at the paper in front of Edie. "How's that report coming along?" She asked, "Found anything interesting?"

Edie looked over at Jess. "Well..." She started, "evolution suggests that velociraptors are distant cousins of the chicken-"

"A chicken?" Jess laughed, bending down to unplug her phone and charger from the plug socket.

"Everything evolved from one microorganism," Edie responded as she checked her watch. Ten to seven.

"I'm going shopping in my lunch break," Jess stood up, smoothing down her navy dress. "Liz is coming with me. Did you want to join us?"

Something that Edie loved about Jess, apart from the fact she could solve all of her technical problems, was her sense of fashion. However, shopping with Jess was like an army workout (and Edie knew exactly how extravagant they were).  That didn't mean that her own fashion was lacking. No, Jess' knowledge of trends, styles and colours always found their way into Edie's wardrobe- even if she didn't understand them.

"I think I'm going on a lunch date with that Harrison guy," Edie made up, not wanting to seem uninterested, "The one-"

"The maths professor?" Jess squealed, running around the breakfast bar to Edie. "You should change your top."

Edie looked down at what she was wearing: a light wash pair of jeans and a comfy top in some hue of red. She had chosen something comfy and relaxed. She was going to be teaching a class on evolutionary zoology and after, probably, going to sit in a lab.

"This is fine."

Jess raised her eyebrows as she tapped her crossed arms. "At least put on a nice blazer or something."

"Fine," Edie raised her hands in surrender, "Will the beige one do?" She pointed to a blazer that was hung over her bedroom door.

Jess nodded. 

"Yes, but wear your loafers," she said, grinning as she placed her things in her bag and grabbed her cardigan before making her way into the hallway.

Pulling on the blazer she had taken from the door, Edie asked, "What would I do without you?" She could hear Jess laugh from the hallway as she threw the two disposable cups in the bin.