Chapter 3 : The Palace

The guards had confiscated your satchel for inspection and to limit your magical ability to fight against them. You had wished to take a nap before arriving at the palace, but the rocky movements of the cart made you feel sick rather than tired.

     The up and down motion of the carriage came to a stop as you arrived at the emperor's palace and your soon-to-be prison. The sickness you felt due to the ride subsided. When the doors opened and light crashed through blinding you from putting up a struggle, guards placed cuffs around your wrist. Once your vision cleared you noticed a figure appear in front of you.

     She had silking navy blue hair that acted as a vail reaching down her slender body then stopping at her hips. The outfit she wore was a long-sleeved grey and black dress that draped across the floor as she walked. To show her rank in the emperor's coven, she had included a formal cloak that clashed greatly with the colors of her dress. Your eyes narrowed once you realized she was Lilith, Eda's sister and the one who had been chasing her around the island for the past year.

     "What a pleasant surprise. My sister's human pet has fallen right into our hands. Emperor Belos will be pleased." Lilith said with a smile spreading across her face. Her look held so much glee it was insulting. You glared at the woman as she waved to the two guards who promptly placed firm hands around your arms and pulled you out of the carriage. Lilith led the way through the castle and into the halls that held an unwelcoming energy about them which ran shivers down your spine.

     The deeper you walked into the palace, the stronger the hastal energy radiated from the walls. What have I gotten myself into? You thought looking in front of you at two tall doors looming overhead. Torches lit the hall but as the doors opened the light was consumed by the darkness within the throne room. You dug your heels into the green carpet not wanting to go through the doorway but you were pushed forward by the guards. Slight panic started to rise in your chest.

     The room was decorated with variations of white and gold all throughout, which would have given the room an open feel if it wasn't for the lack of lighting. As your eyes scanned the room for a possible escape, they landed on what looked to be a large decaying heart beating steadily above the golden throne where Emperor Belos resided.

     You walked across the room on the lengthy green carpet leading up to the Emperor. Blurred thoughts ran through your mind as you made your way to the throne about what was about to happen. Is he gonna kill me? Am I gonna be put into his army? Oh god, what if I'm tortured for information?

     Before you knew it, you stood in front of Emperor Belos and you could feel his gaze burning into yours. The guards who had escorted you forced you to the ground in a kneeling position with your head nearly touching the ground. Which only caused you to put up a struggle against their grip as your blood started to boil.

     "Emperor Belos, we were unsuccessful in capturing Edalyn Clawthorne. However, we did manage to capture her human apprentice." You heard Lilith say as you continued struggling against the guards keeping you on the ground. An audible hum came from the Emperor as he thought about what to do with his new prisoner. A ill feeling started to make its way into your throat once he started to speak which caused your struggling to seize for only a moment.

   "Take her to the lower dungeons. The human could be quite ... useful," Emperor Belos stated. The way he had said 'useful' caused a wave of panic to run through you which only caused your fight with the guards to continue as they hauled you off the ground and started to drag you to your new residence in the dungeon.

     Fuck this. You thought not wanting to go quietly. Digging your heels into the floor you flung the guards to the ground and grabbed one of the swords they had sheathed at their side. Although the cuffs kept your fighting to a minimum you wanted to prove you weren't gonna be an easy prisoner. You didn't have a good idea of what you were going to do, but non the less you had to do something quick.

     However, before you could make it anywhere, a thick goo wrapped around your throat then launched you against a wall and held you high above the ground causing you to drop your weapon. Your head hit the wall and you lost your breath on impact. A clear click could be heard around your neck which led to you being dropped to the floor letting a loud thud echo through the room.

     In a daze, you tried to catch your breath while picking up the sword that had fallen. You looked up to see the emperor's arm turning from a slimy substance to a stable appendage now holding a small object in his hand which you thought nothing of. Making an attempt to stand there was a sudden shock that radiated outward from your neck running sharp pain through your body.

     You collapsed to the ground once more with tight muscles trying to hold back the violent shaking. A few moments later the pain subsided when two guards came to your side in an attempt to restrain you once again. You reached for your neck then realized in that moment that when you heard the click, that the emperor had placed a sort of shock collar on you.

     "You'll all pay for this!" you shouted with venom coughing every word. The emperor gave a wave to his minions who started to haul you off to the prison, a glare clear on your face.

     "We'll see about that." Emperor Belos said with a flat tone. Your eyes widened while the guard dragged you out of the room and the doors quickly closed behind. Catching your feet you began the walk with the guards rather than fight them further. You had accepted your fate and only hoped that Eda would come for you sooner rather than later. A sound came from in front of you that caught your attention.

     Looking up you saw a guard, although they looked different from everyone else. They had on a helmet that looked similar to that of an owl's face and wore an outfit similar to that of the emperors. A white cape with gold under garments. They held a staff that complemented his outfit, but had a bright red jewel on top. It was a type of palisma you where sure if it, but it didn't look natural. A low growl came from you as they passed by making their way into the throne room.

     "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way in." You yelled behind hoping to get a response. At that point all you were doing was buying time. The guard didn't say anything about your comment, but simply turned to look at you for a moment. There was a mysterious energy that surrounded him which peaked your interest. However before you could harass him any further he walked off and into the room where Emperor Belos resided.

     "Keep walking." the guards on your left demanded. Pushing you down the hall and towards a new life in hell.

Word Count : 1274