Chapter 4 : The prisoner and their keeper

(A.N: I feel like I need to say this before we go any further. Blood and experimentation will be involved with this story. Anyways back to our scheduled program <3)

The dungeon was buried under the palace and held many individuals the emperor's coven deemed dangerous by law. When the sad reality of it was, the people held prisoner were simply those who wanted to voice their own thoughts or weren't as "normal" as others on the isles. It made you realize how unfair life was in the fantastical world.

The cold, damp cell you were forced into was lit by a single torch that hung high on the back wall. You had been in the cell, chained to the floor, for about two and a half hours. The guards that had brought you there had exchanged your original restraints for the ones that were previously in the cell.

The new bands were connected to the ground by a single length of chain that only reached a few feet away from the cell's walls and entrance. Although you could still reach the bars you couldn't touch them with your hands.

The cell itself had only a small caught for sleeping, a flat pillow, and a small bucket that hid under the bed. Your eyes started to grow heavy but you refused to sleep. The collar was tight around your neck which only served to keep you alert.

You sat with your back pressed against the wall parallel to the barred door facing outwards towards the hall. The cell you were placed in was the most isolated and furthest down the hall, leaving you no one to potentially talk to other than the guards that passed by every so often.

A sound came from down the hall causing you to look up at the barred door. Only moments later, A guard appeared in front of your cell, keys dangling from their hand as they unlocked the door. You stayed still as they did so, only observing the features of the key for later reference. Because you were so busy examining the keys you didn't notice that the guard coming into your cell wasn't one of the regulars that passed by on patrol.

They were the one you had harassed as they were walking into the throne room while you were being carried to the dungeon. The guard no longer held their palisman but still wore their golden helmet keeping their face hidden from you, like the mystery they were. As they closed the door behind them you straightened your back and let your brows furrow.

"Ah, human, it's good to see you're awake." The guard observed, placing the keys in a hidden pocket of his cloak. His voice was certainly a trademark feature of his, which you would keep in mind. Even if you couldn't see his face, you could pick out his voice in any large crowd.

As he peered around the small cell for any possible defects, you followed his movements with your eyes. He walked with a feline grace which you didn't expect from one of the emperor's lousy subordinates.

"Of course I'm awake. With this collar on, sleep isn't going to be an option." You growled while tugging at the choker. The guard lifted up a small button in his hand and pressed it. A minor shock came from the device causing the electric puls to run through your arm and down your body. You glared up at him which only caused him to chuckle.

"Oh come now it's not that bad once you get used to it." He stated putting the remote aside.

"Says the asshole with the shock button in his hands." You shot back. The guard looked down at you with a hidden expression that only irked you.

"What do you go by, Human?" He asked with a friendly tone to his voice. You didn't want to let your guard down, but you could help it at that moment.

"She they. And the name is y/n." You said propping your arms on one of your knees, the chains singing as you moved. The guard held the chin of his helmet as he noted what you had told him. You figured then would be the best moment to ask him the same question.

"And what do you go by, guard?" You asked with a harshness to the word guard. He turned to you, squaring his shoulders and hands on his hips.

"He him. And you can call me the Golden Guard." He said with a poshness in his answer. You scoffed at him and slowly started to stand. He noticed your movement and stood facing you, keeping an eye on your movements.

"Will Golden Guard is too long to say whenever I go to address you. So I'm gonna call you Goldie." You said with a smirk stretching across your face. He became tense and pinched the bridge of his nose almost like he had forgotten he was wearing a mask.

"Please don't call me that," Goldie said with what sounded to be embarrassment. Your smirk shifted to a more mischievous grin at his reaction to the nickname.

"Or what? You gonna punish me?" You said hoping to get a reaction out of him. His gaze snapped to look at you before pulling out a slim vial of thick red liquid from his pocket. The fluid was a dark crimson that stained the sides of the glass as it sloshed around in its container. Your eyes narrowed at the sight and you slowly walked closer out of curiosity.

That was a mistake.

The Golden Guard lunged forward grabbing the part of the chain that was closest to the handcuffs. He forced you to the ground before pinning your legs with his own making it difficult to fight back. Unable to form any kind of proper sentence, he took advantage of this, uncapping the vile and forcing it between your lips. The crimson solution slipped down your throat with a burning sensation that left a metallic taste in your mouth. Not being able to spit out the liquid you drank in hope of getting the taste out of your mouth. The band around your neck made it hard to drink but soon enough it was over.

The vile was promptly emptied prompting the Gold Guard to get off you and put the now clear container back in his pocket. You rolled over on all fours coughing due to being forced to swallow the awful liquid. Goldie turned his face away so he wouldn't see your struggle with the after-effects of the sudden attack. Still, in a coughing fit, you forced yourself to stand and face your attacker.

"What the hell was that asshole?!" You shouted before going back to coughing. The iron taste was starting to leave your mouth but you felt your stomach start to turn at the arrival of an unknown substance. The Golden Guard turned back to you with crossed arms.

"It was the first dose of blood. Emperor Belos wishes to find a way for humans to do genuine magic, in order to force them into covens," He explained, talking slightly with one hand. "And you're going to be our test subject."

You felt sick. Whether it was from the blood or his statement you couldn't tell. You moved back, hitting the far wall of the cell the damp coming through your shirt.

"And if I don't gain magic powers from this? What will happen to me then?" You ask, trying to hide the concern in your voice. He sighed while reaching for his keys.

"Then you'll be terminated through petrification." He answered before walking out and locking the door. You breathed in heavily thinking of what was to come, but before you could get too deep into thought, The Golden Guard chimed in.

"Emperor Belos has charged me with keeping an eye on you. So you'll be seeing more of me." He said with what could've been mistaken as a sympathetic tone to his voice. "See you around y/n." Goldie began to walk down the hall, but you couldn't let him leave without something.

"Hope you fall down the stairs!" You shouted at him before leaning back against the wall. Looking down at your hands you wondered if this treatment really would give you the ability to do magic like Eda.

Word Count : 1406