Chapter 8: Names Are Power

(Hey everyone, I'm sorry I haven't been posting recently. Depression can really demotivating. But I hope this chapter doesn't disappoint you. I was in a bit of a rush to post this before school so if there's any mistakes please let me know and I'll go back and fix it. Have a good day. <3)

     The name was inked in gold and written by a gentle, elegant hand. The letters were distinct by themselves yet flowed together with each stroke of a quill. You found yourself so fixated on the calligraphy you hadn't realized the man walking past you to climb on the bed.

     " I should've taken that down before bringing you up here." The Golden Guard growled before standing on the bed to take the certificate down from the wall. You looked at him a bit puzzled before crossing your arms.

     "What's the use of taking it down now? I already know your real name, Hunter." You said his name mockingly to prove that you did indeed have time to read the name written on the framed document.

     "I didn't give you permission to use that name." The Golden Guard snapped before jumping off the bed and leaning the frame in his hands against the foot of his bed. There was an agitation in his tone of voice but you ignored it, continuing to ramble on.

     "Why does it matter what name I use? You clearly still use the name written on that certificate." You asked not realizing that he was moving closer. You started to speak once again before being caught off guard when a hand was placed on your shoulder. At first, his hand just sat there, but then steadily his grip grew firm as he spoke.

     "Listen here," The grasp Hunter had on your shoulder was beginning to hurt causing you to feel as if he was trying to cripple you to the ground. "Names hold power here. If someone were to know my true name they could use it to hurt me." Your focus was no longer on Hunter's hold of your shoulder but was now directed to what he was saying. It only took you a moment to recall what Eda had told you about names in the past.

     "If someone knows any part of your name, first, middle or last, they can hold power over you. Using your name to place curses upon your life and making it hell, if you even detect that you're hexed in the first place. Most curses cause you to die painfully or make you wish you were dead. Although some spells can be reversed or prevented completely, it's best not to take chances. So don't let anyone know your true name let alone your full name. Not unless you're absolutely sure you can trust them with your life." A few weeks after she had informed you of this, she placed a protection spell over your name. Requiring a person to know the entirety of your name in order to hold any power of you. However, the spell could expire randomly, leaving you yet again exposed to the supernatural elements of this world.

     "I need you to promise me you won't go spreading my name around. It'll be dangerous for both of us. Got it?" He states making his grip ever so tighter.

     "I understand." You replied in a flat tone. Hoping that he would let your shoulder go with the simple answer. The Golden Guard nodded his head and released your shoulder. However, you still wished to point something out.

     "Although I can't call you by your name out in public, may I at least call you Hunter while in the private?" You remembered back when you had told him your name, not thinking about the warning Eda had given you. So you thought it was only far that he allowed you to use his.

     Abruptly you could feel a heat start to crawl up your spine causing you to remember that you still had untamed magic running through your body. You winced at the sudden discomfort and began to lift your hand in order to conjure up a small sphere of fire, however, Hunter stopped you and began to speak.

     "I'll have to think on that. But for now, we need to apply this medicine." He walked over to the table that he had left it on. As he picked up the jar full of ointment he paused for a moment, rolling the container in his left hand. You assumed he must have placed it down in order to have his hands free to get the frame off the wall. You wondered why he stopped but then you recalled what Nurse Lily had said.