Chapter-23

"Totodile, Hydro Pump!" Mellanie shouted. As the Big Jaw Pokémon fired the attack, which sent her opponent crashing to the ground, she heard the crowd roar.

"Totodile is the winner!" the Referee called. "Advancing to the Final of the Johto League is Mellanie Rigger!"

Another, louder, roar swept across the stadium as Mellanie turned to the crowd, waving.

As she walked out of the stadium, she was hit by a hug from Sam. As she recovered, her childhood friend stepped away, so she could see his grinning face.

"Congratulations Mel" he said exuberantly. "That was amazing! I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks Sam." Mellanie said breathlessly as the rest of their friends appeared.

"Congratulations Mellanie." Max said with a smile, a sentiment that was quickly echoed by the rest of the group.

Mellanie continued to revel in their praise as they headed towards a Pokémon Centre. Inside Mellanie handed over her Pokémon, and they turned to face the door where the Pokémon Master stood. He looked at Mellanie and gestured to a corner of the room, the same one where he had last spoken to Mellanie and Sam, and strode over there. Mellanie turned to her friends.

"Please give me a minute. I think I know what he wants."

Mellanie walked over towards 'Champion' and sat down when he indicated for her to do so.

"This will only take a moment." 'Champion' said. "Firstly, congratulations. To reach the final is an achievement made even more impressive by the fact it is your first tournament. Secondly, regardless of the outcome of the final, I would like to extend an invitation to you to train under me after the Johto League. This training will mean that you will spend at least a month with me in the aftermath of the league, and after that you will be allowed to train as you will whilst always being welcome to return to Indigo as long as I am Pokémon Master."

Mellanie sat in shock. She had expected to be reminded of the need to avoid over-confidence, not an offer such as this. She stammered out a thank you, but stopped when 'Champion' spoke again.

"Whilst this does not depend on your performance in the final, I remind you that I will only train the best. Do not let me down." He said.

"Yes sir." Mellanie stammered. "What about Sam?"

"You are correct Miss Rigger. I feel that he also has a similar level of potential, even if he failed to defeat you. I also suspect without him, you would refuse. I will approach him after the tournament. Do not mention this to anybody; I will inform them myself at an appropriate time."

"Yes. Of course." Mellanie said quickly. "Thank you sir. Thank you."

'Champion' started to walk away, but as he left he turned his head slightly.

"Good luck Miss Rigger." He threw over his shoulder, before leaving, his customary cloak sweeping around him.

'Champion' strode away, but reached the rest of the group who looked shocked when he stopped next to them.

"Miss Waterflower. My condolences on your defeat to Aaron. I am impressed with your Pikachu, although I must question your wisdom in using a Pokémon you are unaccustomed to the typing of in a battle like that. You may have won had you used a Water Pokémon you were more familiar with."

Leaving Misty open-mouthed behind him, 'Champion' strode away, as Mellanie came up. "Ready guys?" she said.

As they walked away, Sam fell into step next to Mellanie. "What did he want Mel?"