Chapter-27

Ash stood in front of the window, Espeon at his side. Inside Giovanni was sat calmly, waiting, his hands chained together and his ankles tied to the chair. Ash knew that he had to interview him, but for now he was satisfied simply observing the man he had chased. Ever since he had first gone after Team Rocket four years ago, he had wondered what he would do, what he would feel when he finally caught Giovanni. He had expected satisfaction, maybe a feeling of triumph. He only felt hollow. He had finally taken down Giovanni, but at what cost? Giovanni's attack had destroyed a huge amount of the confidence in the Pokémon League. Ash knew that he had to restore his reputation of invincibility. He smiled slightly at this; his next stage of plans for the Pokémon League would do this as a side effect. He just had to get through the trials first.

Ash turned away from the window and strode out of the room, moving around to the door into the interrogation room. This part of Indigo hadn't been used for a long time, before he became Master. Now the rooms were in regular use. The way that they should be. Indigo Plateau was the centre of the Pokémon League, there was no other place that he could conceivably hold prisoners like Giovanni and Agent. Agent, the man who apparently had no background. His fingerprints had been run through every database available, and a thorough search through his background history had been conducted. The result was nothing. Ash had one last hope for revealing who Agent was, otherwise he would go down as a mystery. It didn't matter, it wasn't important that the world knew who Agent was. What was important was that they saw him punished.

Ash pushed the door open and strode purposefully in. Giovanni looked up at him, an aura of resignation emanating from the Rocket boss. Ash sat down in the chair across the table from Giovanni, and leant back, further contemplating the man. In the observation room Espeon started to search the Rocket boss' mind to try to get any information that she could.

"Giovanni." Ash spoke, his voice cold.

"'Champion'." Giovanni answered. "What can I do for you?"

"You can start talking." Came the cold reply. "Why did you launch that strike against Silver Stadium? Why did you hold Cynthia hostage? And why did you try to kill Mewtwo?"

Giovanni sighed. "Why would I talk? You will prosecute me anyway. You have no choice."

Ash didn't smile. "Correct. The political will against you is extraordinary, you are going to trial. And if you are found guilty..."

"What do you mean if?" Giovanni snapped. "We both know I am guilty!"

"If you are found guilty," Ash continued, unfazed by Giovanni's outburst, "then the strictest penalty will almost certainly be applied."

Giovanni sat bolt upright. "You can't!" he half-shouted. "That punishment hasn't been used for..."

"For ninety-seven years. The last man to be executed for his crimes was a man called Edward Scnitter. He had tried to overthrow the Hoenn region, and was found guilty of murdering nine different Pokémon. See a parallel? Just your crimes will be worse in the eyes of the world. Edward didn't kill humans as well."

"You cannot execute me!" Giovanni shouted, trying to stand but was held tight by his ankle restraints. "You don't have the right!"

"You are correct, Giovanni." Ash said, his voice still eerily devoid of emotion. "I alone do not have the right. The decision to take a life can be proposed to a council of gym leaders, each leader has a vote. If there are enough votes, then you will be executed."

Giovanni raised his hands and slammed them on the table. "Damn you! How can you sit there and calmly talk about my death with me?" he raged, all composure gone. "Have you no decency? No respect?"