13. Heart of Darkness

Haruki slunk back out of the way and leaned up against the wall. Using Technique Binary to its maximum effect was going to require meticulous concentration and precise control.

"Good luck, Ghost," Sensui smiled down at him.

Haruki smiled back. "The old man's lessons have eventually proved of some use,"

Closing his eyes, Haruki summoned the power flowing through his body and directed it outwards. The building was only metres away.

So close...

In seconds, his projected consciousness had slipped inside the hospital. Haruki's projection surveyed the area. He'd ended up somewhere near the basement, as he'd hoped. Somewhere nice and close to the hospital's power supply, but not near the girl he was targeting.

Mr Sensui said to keep her busy. Of course, it'll be much easier once I've taken the light...

The quickest way to do that, was to become one with the darkness itself.

*******

With ice in her heart, Sakura eyed the cloud of insects that hovered between her and the door. They seemed to be almost daring her to try and run. Around her, the infected were moaning and shivering.

There seemed little point to destroy the insects and attempt to pry the door open. The lights were out, the power was blown, and the territory was making communication difficult inside the hospital and impossible outside it.

Yusuke told me to contact the others. But these damn insects are everywhere and Yusuke needs me here...

Sakura stared at the insects in her way, knowing she only had a few seconds to make a choice, and her options were severely limited. Either she could shoot a blast and hope it would take out the door along with the insects, or run and try to find a different way out. Neither was ideal...

Think, Sakura. Think! What's the smartest thing you can do right now?

Then, the answer came to her.

Turn the power back on, and you can get out long enough to contact Kurama!

It was the best option of a bad list. If she could find the generator, a healthy dose of her energy would probably be enough to restart it for a few minutes at least.

"Spirit Blast!"

Sakura's energy orbs vaporised all the insects in front of her. Then she whirled around and sprinted up the staircase. She might not be able to see the psychics, but her tsunagu training should be able to lead her to an inanimate object. She was sure of it.

Just find somewhere quiet, somewhere those insects can't get to you, and use every ounce of energy to find that power source!

*******

As Yusuke and Genkai ran upstairs, Kido pushed forward on the ground floor, keeping his eyes out for anyone. The halls seemed to be empty, but soon he spotted someone coming out of a door.

"Nurse!" Without thinking, Kido hurried over and steered the nurse back into the room she'd been exiting.

"Please, sir. I'll scream!"

Kido looked her dead in the eye. He was running on pure adrenaline. "Listen to me. There's a criminal posing here as a doctor. You need to help me find him, maybe a doctor you don't recognise!"

The nurse stared at him in fear. She seemed lost for words.

"What's going on?!" A new voice enquired sternly.