01

you had a dream that night, one where you were with your older sister as you sat on her lap. she was reading you a book, it was a tale about a princess who ran away from home.

it was your usual fairy tale, you had read the story for so many times yet you never grew tired of it. your sister whispered the words to your ear, her breath tickling you a bit.

you chuckled, seeing as she did it on purpose.

"are you sure you don't want another story?" she asked.

"nope! i'm fine with this one."

"alright then." she smiles.

perhaps that was the last time you ever had a peaceful dream. it didn't last long, because you soon smelled burning wood which was the reason you woke up.

your eyes shot open, feeling heat creeping up from all around. your room was covered in smoke, making it hard to breathe.

you sat up the bed, using your blanket to cover your nose. "mom? dad? [S/N]?" you called out.

you started to cough, the smell burning your lungs. you stood up and went for the door, but the knob was too hot for you to twist.

you panicked, seeing that the flames had already reached your room. "is anyone there?!" you shout, pounding out the door.

no one replied, and your vision had started to blur. you couldn't handle the amount of smoke that was swirling in your room, the intense heat you felt around you was enough to make you weak by itself.

"...someone..." your eyelids started to drop, your consciousness fading away little by little.

"i'm here!" a small voice shouted from outside. the familiar voice had successfully broke your door open, his blood hair sticking to his forehead which was covered in sweat.

"...what are you..." you tried to speak, but found it hard to.

"don't worry, i'll get you out." the blanket that was wrapped around you tightens as he carries you out the room, avoiding falling planks that were scorched with flames.

you didn't know what happened and how he managed to get you out, just the words that spew out of his mouth right when you got out the burning house.

"you're alright." he panted, setting you down. "you're safe now, [S/N]."

your breath hitched, uncovering yourself from the blanket that was wrapped around you. "...i'm not [S/N]."

his eyes widened, worry painted on his green hues. he stepped back a little as you coughed more, realizing you weren't who he thought you were. "l-lady [Y/N]?"

"my sister..." you furrowed your brows. "she's... still inside?"

without a second thought, the boy sprinted back in the mansion. you could only watched as he tried to enter, but was stopped by a couple of men who were saying it was too late.

you were still trying to process what was happening as you watched your house getting burned into flames. people panicked around you, some of the servants provided you with care soon after they found you.

you saw the boy who rescued you just a few feet away, his legs giving up when he realized it was too late.

your house that was now covered in flames began to burn more, the stench it produced was enough to make you sick.

even though you managed to get out, you still found it hard to breathe. you could only think of your sister, who was still possibly trapped in that mess.