Chapter One

Author's Note: Based on a plot bunny that I couldn't shake.

AU in which Tasha Yar lives. Otherwise, pretty much sticks to cannon. I changed the end of Picard's speech by a few words.

It's really a shame there aren't more Worf/Tasha stories. I generally bounce between writing them as BFFs or shipping them together.

This first chapter is predominantly told from Worf's perspective but please don't be too harsh on him. In the next chapter, we'll explore Tasha's feelings a little more. It will become clear their act of dancing around each other isn't just one-sided.

Thank you so much for reading, likes, kudos, and reviews.

If you like my work, want to stay up to date on my art/stories/comics, or just want to chat about the fandom or writing feel free to join me @TheTartanTart on Twitter.

----------

"Duty. A starship captain's life is filled with solemn duty. I have commanded men in battle. I have negotiated peace treaties between implacable enemies. I have represented the Federation in first contact with twenty-seven alien species, but none of this compares to my solemn duty today as best man," Captain Picard said.

Worf scanned along the row of officers and locked eyes with her.

They briefly held one another's gaze.

She gave a small, curt nod before turning her attention back to the Captain's speech.

"In my praise on the wonders of this blessed union," Picard went on. "Have you two considered what you are doing to me?"

Polite laughter erupted from the room as Captain Picard put a hand on Commander Riker's shoulder.

"Of course, you're happy, but what about my needs? This is all a damned inconvenience," Picard said feigning outrage.

From across the table, Worf watched as she laughed.

Openly.

Amused.

Entirely uninhibited.

Serving on the Federation flagship, they had all seen their fair share of trauma.

It was the rare moments like this where they could let themselves go.

Moments like last night where Worf had let himself go.

And the result had been to hurt her on a day that was supposed to be a joyous occasion.

Yet, true to form, she would never let it show.

"And while you're happily settling in on the Titan, I will be training in my new first officer," Picard turned back to the crowd. "You all know him. He's a tyrannical martinet who'll never, ever allow me to go on away missions!"

"That is the regulation, sir. Starfleet Code. Section twelve. Paragraph four-" Data began to say.

Will and Deanna shared a knowing look.

Worf tried to catch Commander Data's eye.

Across the table, she bit back a smile.

She knew better than the rest of them just how serious Data took his responsibilities.

"Data!" Picard said.

"Sir?" Data inquired politely.

"Shut up," Picard grinned.

Data was unphased.

The context was now clear to him.

"Yes, sir," he replied in understanding.