28 | MOM'S MAC AND CHEESE

Clay's mom slowly approaches me, resting her arm over my shoulder as she pulls me into her. I wrap my arms around her back, resting my head against her. She was my mom. My new mom. I knew that my mom would be happy she stepped in as that role for me. She always loved Clay's family. This is exactly what she would have wanted.

"Sweetie, do you want alone time?" I shook my head. I didn't. Maybe one day I'd be able to be here alone. But not any time soon. I couldn't even fathom being here by myself. The thoughts alone were enough to send me spiraling.

"Just let me know when you're ready. Okay honey?"

I nod my head and pull away from her. "We can go now." I look past her at her son who's towering over her shoulder. Tall boy.

Later that night, Clay's phone lights up with a bunch of photos sent by his mom. He refuses to let me see. He wants to make them pretty first. Like my face wasn't enough to make them pretty. Like his face wasn't enough to make them pretty.

I was really quiet the rest of the night. I didn't really have much to say. I didn't want to be around his friends. I really just felt like I had to be alone. I couldn't really deal with having to communicate. Something I prided myself on normally. I was typically good at communicating what I was feeling. But not tonight.

"Clay! Babe!" Nick jokes as he raps his knuckles against our bedroom door before pushing it open.

"I fucking hate you." Clay looks at Nick from his computer. I don't even turn to acknowledge that he's entered the room. I have my headphones in, blocking out the sounds of the world. "She's in her head. What's up?"

"Just thought maybe you guys wanted to cook dinner together tonight? I'm starving and I feel like she might have wanted to have a little... I don't know." Nick shrugs his shoulders. "Bit of love?"

Clay gets out of his desk chair and climbs into bed with me. He wraps his arms around me and snuggles his face up next to mine. He pulls at the ear bud in one of my ears, letting it fall loosely from my ear.

"Nick wants to make dinner as a family." He kisses my cheek to soften the blow of having to interact. The thought of them cock fighting again in the kitchen does bring a smile to my face. Warms me from the inside out.

"Okay." I say softly. More soft than I intend it to. As the words sound in my head I realize how defeated I sound. There's no way to cover what's already been said. I do want this. I just... voice stuff.

"Craving anything love?" Heat. Every god damn time, without fail, there's heat with that word. I will never get over it. I've decided. But I'm okay with it. I love the feeling it gives.

"You." I joke.

"Oh come on. I'm right here." Nick groans. The sound of his voice makes me look over my shoulder. I had no idea he was there. I just thought it was Clay and I. Whoops.

"Uh—" I stutter. How the hell am I supposed cover that up? I guess there isn't any way to cover up something that's already escaped. I'll just let it slowly disappears with awkward silence. That works, right?

"How about we do something homey? Like you know, makes you feel all safe and fuzzy inside. Kind of how soup makes you feel when your sick." Clay's voice is radiant. God, he's excited and glowing over making food as a family. He's too good for the world.

"I hate soup. But... I know what you mean. Comfort food." I kiss Clay's cheek before the two of us get off his bed. Our bed.

"Who hates soup?" Nick questions as if he's oblivious to every food I hate. I'm picky dude. Get over it. It's a texture thing. Taste thing. I'm weird. It is what it is. I roll my eyes at him.