Chapter Ten - A Match Into Water

Jaime's POV

My eyes shot open, darting around the room in panic trying to figure out where I was. I sighed in relief and closed my eyes again, breathing deeply when I realised it was only a dream. I was in hospital I knew that for sure, there was a crash, I'd been asleep. Skye wasn't dead. That was a dream. It was then that I realised, maybe she was dead, maybe she hadn't survived, maybe that's what my dream was telling me? I mentally scalded myself for being so stupid and pessimistic. Of course she was alive. The universe wasn't that cruel so as to let me lose her too, was it?

I heard a click as the door was pushed open until a figure stood over me. I blinked a few times, clearing the unshed tears and sleep.

"How are you doing Hime-Time?"

It was Vic, thank god finally a face to tell me what the hell was going on.

I tried to talk but my voice was hoarse,

"Skye?" I questioned meekly.

Concern flitted across his face briefly before he set his mouth into that smile he faked so well.

"She's fine, you need to focus on recovering before you start worrying about anyone else."

I flashed him the "don't give me that shit' look and tried to pull myself up into a sitting position. It hurt but it was worth it as I could finally see the room I was in and take in my surroundings. He sighed and pulled the chair closer to the edge of my bed. He knew he couldn't hide shit like this from me, I'd find out eventually, one way or another.

"She wasn't breathing when the ambulance got to you. You were both in a pretty bad way but your body shielded her head from most of the damage after the second car hit you which saved her life, but obviously caused you quite a bit of damage. They managed to resuscitate her but she's been in a coma since. They won't know if she has any brain damage or lasting effects until she wakes up. If she wakes up."

My mind was racing with the new information,

"What do you mean, if?"

"Jaime she's broken every rib in her body and suffered substantial head trauma from the first crash. She's chipped her skull which could lead to a fracture if she's not kept stable and she lost a lot of blood from the cuts and wounds to her arms and legs. She also burnt a lot of her shoulder and the side of her body closest to the flames. That's a lot of pain and wounds for someone to withstand. But she's strong, she'll pull through, I'm sure of it."

"I want to see her."

"They won't let you yet. You've got to give yourself a chance to heal. You've been out 3 days straight and that's given you a pretty good head start in recovery. The nurses will check on you tomorrow and if they think you're well enough, I'll take you down in a wheelchair but you won't be able to stay with Skye for long as she's still in ICU."

"How is everyone else?"

"Sammie and Tony are both okay, Sammie has whiplash and some cuts and bruises, same goes for Tony. Nothing too serious but enough to keep them bedridden for the week. They'll be okay by the time you're out."

"Who were the second people to hit us? Who was in the third car? Are they okay?"

Vic hung his head slightly, guilt spreading across his face.

"That was Mike and I. The van slipped on some black ice and we side-slammed into you. 

"Shit! Are you both okay?!" 

"Yeah, Mike cut his head but it didn't need proper stitches or anything so he's fine. Just a bit pissed that we've got to get repairs on the car. The whole passenger side needs re-doing so we can pull the car shaped dent out the side."