Chapter One: Not So Sweet Life

WARNING: This book contains abuse and it's pretty fast and can be overwhelming. Oopsies.

June 7th, 2021; "Jeff. I will revenge me, because loving me is like loving the sea. Vast, unpredictable, and damn near strong."

Present;

It's said that love is as diverse and unruly as the sea. I hope that being in love doesn't actually feel this way, because if that's that case, love for me is just as normal as it is for anyone else. And that's disappointing.
I feel the splinters of glass transfix on my feet, it's hard to imagine he even knows what love means. Even so, neither do I. So as I wince, pain ascending and escalating through my foot, I'm quick to forgive my father posterior to his concerned face. "M-May, I'm so sorry are you okay?" He grabs my face, his deep blue eyes looking into my own frightened ones. "D-don't cry," He coos me. I think that his mind resembled the way he drank his alcohol, it's full of mistakes and the wrong medication. Sometimes I feel like I can't age... my coping mechanisms include feeling textures and caressing my skin and cooing myself to calm down. But I suppose it's better than indulging with my father. With this thought, I sigh, and realize once again that there's not a single thing to be done about my father.

Our home is small. It's dusty, with a throw-up green fuzzy carpet that's been squished down in certain spots. We have old devices, the fridge is about 10 years old, while the dining room table is far older. To catch my breath, I caress the darkish brown wall, feeling the lumps and smooth parts of it's finishings. I return my gaze to my father, who has a nicely sized, underkept brown beard with specs of gray. Bags sit under his tear stricken eyes as he profusely apologies.

While one of my obligations is to nurse him, I have somewhere important to be. Cleaning houses, my primary job, works as a distractive work. He cleans my foot, using an old dirty rag we keep in the drawer. I hobble my way to my special job today.

This house lives here in the woods, bigger than life trees finish the canopy for as far as the eye can view. Walking felt invigorating, nature takes its course, and the thought of stepping through such an event often got me quite animated. I walk by a sign that had the words 'BURKHART MANSION, ONE MILE AHEAD' sprawled across it. A smile creeps on my face as I admire how old and used this sign looks, going up to about my breasts and about to fall over.

I see a small pond and stop to take a look at it, bending down I can see my reflection; dark black hair, dark eyes, and a very defined jawline, if I say so myself. I chuckle, and continue on my path. I step over large trunks, sticks and leaves, and watch two squirrels play, creating a smile that's happy to spread across my face. I march towards this beloved Burkhart Mansion for a perpetual way, it appears that I've nearly reached a middle ground of a forest that's more wide than the eye can see; I think of how conspicuous their flyer had been; old, torn, and positively full of time. How long had it been sitting there? I feel like I'm being watched, a creepy aura overcomes me and I rub my arms while I stop and take a look around, slightly frightened. I continue to walk, shrugging after only hearing some leaves pitter patter. As I walk further into the forest, the trees begin to all look the same, they become bigger, larger, almost unimaginably tall and dark. They seem to fold in on the path, but even in this creepiness, the sun shines through the few leaves that are left on these trees, making me wish the sun would stay forever.

I glance back smiling and awing at the beauty. But my trail is gone. Furrowing my eyebrows, I shake my head in confusion. "It was right here..." I then see a small girl with light brown hair and a teddy bear. She's wearing a pretty pink dress, and while she is small, there was somewhat of a minising, large aura surrounding her. I kept my distance and continued striding quickly on what I assumed was the correct way. "I hope I don't get lost..." I mutter. The sun gets darker. Smokey clouds cover the sky, and the leaves on trees begin to rot away. I want to run back, but I finally reach my destination; the Burkhart Mansion.

As I near an old black gate with absolutely no lock, by the way, I beam at how beautiful this home truly is, the old and sinking squeaking fence, how the grass is slightly overgrown, all trees still standing in their glory of shining leaves and solid trunks. But the mass contributing to this unprecedented bell of this attraction, at the center of it all, stood a mansion, three stories high and twice as long lived here in these woods, excitement plunged it's way through my body, making me tingle and begin to trot towards the large gate. I look behind the splendid, somewhat isolated home, and see how the trees slowly get darker and seem to die in front of my eyes. I almost fall over, dizzy, so I slip through the gate that is slightly open. It creaks. This is beautiful, but as I trot towards this overly sized daunting door I feel icy shivers inch down my back, the same feeling of being watched invaded my senses, like a scary caress lurching me forward, yet back. I staggered slowly through the door that was slightly cracked open. It creeps open, making me halt as my eyes scan for greetings, there's something strange and dark about who lives here, about this forest, about this job. "Hello?" I walk in quietly, but jolt and jog further in when I feel someone brush past me, a cold weapon pressed against my side, a scream comes out of my mouth. I briskly clench my eyes shut, I can feel a hot breath against my neck and a body close to mine as the cold weapon digs further into my skin by the second.

*cliff hanger inserted*

• • • | I hope you all enjoyed my first chapter! Please vote for it, I have big plans for this book so please keep reading and comment critique/funny things. Thank you for your time! ❤ | • • •