13

The plan was simple... sort of.

Natasha is currently impersonating one of the World Council leaders using a prosthetic mask.

Maria, Steve, Sam and Lauren walks through the woods as they sneak into the Triskelion. 

Lauren's powers haven't yet come back online since she was injected, so they have to do all this manually.

Once inside, Maria presses a button which causes the S.H.I.E.L.D. coms to backfire.

An agent opens the door to the control room, only to be greeted by 3 guns.

"Excuse us," Steve says.

The agent holds his hands up, letting them pass through. Lauren cocks her gun as she forces the rest of the agents to exit the room. Maria sets up the P.A. system for Steve.

"Attention all S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, this is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days. Some of you we even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D. is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The S.T.R.I.K.E. and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want. Absolute control. They shot Nick Fury. And it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot. But the price of freedom is high. It always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" Sam asks.

Lauren grabs onto both Steve and Sam and tries to teleport them down.

Nothing happens.

She sighs. They run down the stairs and to the tarmac.

" They're inicitaing launch", Maria says.

"Hey, Cap, how do we know the good guys from the bad guys?" Sam asks as they're running.

"If they're shooting at you, they're bad," Steve responds.

" As opposed to, what? Hugging us?" Lauren asks.

" Sam, you take the air. Lauren and I will take the ground."

" For now," She says.

Lauren and Steve jumps down to the lower level tarmac.

He takes them on with his shield, she takes them on with her gun. 

She uses her bo staff to knock them over. She shoves her staff behind her to hit one in the stomach and then shoves it over her shoulder to knock him out.

Throughout the fighting, she tries and tries to use her powers, but the sedation is still working.

"Hey, Cap, I found those bad guys you were talking about."

"You okay?"

"I'm not dead yet."

Lauren fires her gun, finds cover, reloads, then fires again.

6 bullets. 6 headshots.

"Falcon, status?"

"Engaging .All right, Cap. I'm in. Oh, shit."

"Eight minutes, guys,"  Maria says.

"I'm working on it!" Lauren shouts.

She hides behind a cargo hold. She closes her eyes and tries to focus. She tries and tries to do... something... anything.

Finally, she feels warmth in her hands.

Lauren looks down at her hands and sees a fireball. She smirks as her eyes glow gold.

Lauren bursts out into the sky, leaving behind an explosion that takes out the rest of the HYDRA goons in her area.

With ease, she flies up to one of the helicarries and creates a fireball to throw at the glass. She flies through the hole and softly lands on the bridge. She presses a button that makes the targeting blades appear. She takes one of them out and replaces it with a blade from her pocket.

"Alpha lock," Lauren says as she flies out of the helicarrier.

" You're back?" Steve asks.

" I'm back, baby," Lauren smirks as she throws fireballs at the guns on the ship.

"Falcon, where are you now?" Maria asks.

"Had to take a detour,"  Sam says, " I'm in. Bravo lock"

"Two down, one to go. Charlie carrier is 45 degrees off the port bow. Six minutes,"  Maria says.

"Hey Lauren, gonna need a ride," Steve says.

"Let me know when you're ready," Lauren says.

"I just did!"

She looks down as sees Steve falling through the air. She groans, but rushes down to catch him. Lauren grabs onto his arm and screams as she tries to fly back up and take him to Charlie.

"You know, you're a lot heavier than you look," Lauren says.

" I had a big breakfast," Steve responds.

Within seconds, Bucky jumps out and knocks Steve off the carrier. Sam tries to fly in and kick Bucky, but he grabs Sam's wing, breaks it and shoves him off the carrier. Lauren freezes for a moment as Bucky walks towards her.

She has to act fast.

Lauren dives off the hellicarrier, grabs Steve and throws him all the way back on top. She dives back down to grab Sam. She wraps one arm around him as she uses her powers to slow them down and soften their landing.

" What can't you do?" Sam asks as he hunches over and tries to catch his breath.

" Bring back the dead?" Lauren shrugs.

"Cap! Cap, come in. Are you okay?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, I'm here. I'm on the helicarrier. Where are you?" Steve asks.

"I'm grounded. The suit's down. Sorry, Cap."

"Don't worry. I got it," Steve says.

" I'm on my way up," Lauren says.

" I said I've got it. Get to safety."

Lauren sighs, but she listens.

If only Steve did.

He did what he had to do.

Fight his best friend.

Bucky shot him. And beat him to a pulp.

He replaced the targeting blade.

And made Maria initiate fire.

Soon, one by one each helicarrier begins to fall from the sky as they turn their guns on one another.

But... Steve hasn't gotten off of the carrier.

" Steve! Do you copy? Steve? Steve!"

"Then finish it. Because I'm with you to the end of the line....... Lauren, I--"