14

They found him. They found Steve's body. He's been unconscious for a while now.

Lauren and Sam sit in Steve's room on either side of his bed. Sam has Trouble Man by Marvin Gaye playing on his iPod.

" On your left."

Sam looks up at Steve and smiles.

Lauren stands up out of her chair and sits on his bed.

" How are you feeling, super soldier?" She asks.

She sucks in her lips as she smiles. Her eyes watery, but not running down her cheeks.

" Like I had 3 helicarriers drop on me," Steve says with a chuckle.

Lauren leans in and places a gentle kiss on his forehead. Despite her longing to stay, she leaves. She's needed elsewhere.

Capitol Hill.

"Why haven't we yet heard from Captain Rogers?"

" I don't know what's left for him to say. I think the wreck in the middle of the Potomac made his point fairly eloquently," Lauren responds.

" Well, he could explain how this country is expected to maintain it's national security now that he and you have laid waste to our intelligence apparatus."

" HYDRA was telling you lies, not intelligence," Natasha says.

"Many of which you two seemed to have a personal hand in telling."

"Agents, you should know that there are some on this committee who feel, given your service records, both for this country and against it, that you belong in a penitentiary. Not mouthing off on Capital Hill."

" You're not going to put us in a prison. You're not going to put any of us in a prison. You know why?" Lauren asks.

" Do enlighten us."

" Because you need us. Yes, the world is a vulnerable place, and yes, we help make it that way. But were also the ones best qualified to defend it," Natasha says.

" So, if you want to arrest us, arrest us. You'll know where to find us", Lauren says.

The pair then stand up and walk out of the room, completely ignoring the flashing lights and reporters waiting for a comment.

And as if they haven't been through enough, they head to a funeral.

Well... sort of.

Fury is still dead to the public and alive to few.

"You should be honored. That's about as close as he gets to saying thank you," Natasha says as she and Lauren walk up to Fury's grave.

 That's about as close as he gets to saying thank you," Natasha says as she and Lauren walk up to Fury's grave

" Not going with him?" Steve asks.

" No," Natasha responds.

" Not staying here," He says.

" I blew all my covers. I got to go figure out a new one," She says.

" That might take a while," Steve says.

" I'm counting on it," Natasha says, " I called in a few favors from Kiev."

Natasha hands him the file that she originally showed Lauren. It contains all of the documents about the Winter Soldier program.

" Will you do me a favor? Take her out on a date."

Natasha smirks and then walks off. 

" You know... I would've done it even if she didn't ask," Steve says.

Lauren smiles.

" Then how come you haven't asked me yet?" She asks.

" Well... there hasn't really been a right time," He says, " How about we get that drink later?"

" I'd love to."