Chapter 30

"Were you always this popular with Warrior men?"

Leyla averted her eyes from the men who were trying to catch her gaze. As the King had yet to arrive and make introductions, no one dared to approach their two-person table and she was glad for it. It was hard enough to keep from glaring at everyone, if she also had to do small talk, it was going to drive her crazy.

"I was not popular. Nor am I now. It's just the novelty of meeting people from the Land of Light that has them staring. Bloody Diya it's irritating."

Michael snorted, taking a drink of his wine. "Why am I even asking you? You wouldn't recognise a man's interest if it smacked you across the head."

Casting a quick glance at the table next to their, where Lady Delphine was making small talk with two ladies from the House of Iron, Leyla stomped on Michael's foot. "You've become very disrespectful since we came back to Gaia, little brother."

Squeezing his eyes shut for a painful moment, Michael set down his cup. "I'm only telling you the truth. Do you know how many guys were interested in you back on Asch? And you didn't notice them at all!"

"You're imagining things." Leyla looked around for Isabelle, but she was still nowhere to be seen. Neither was Tia. Just sitting there was going to do no good. "I will be back in a little bit."

Michael's eyes widened in alarm, "Where are you going? The King could arrive at any moment."

"I will be back long before he comes," Leyla reassured him. "Before the Kings arrival, the Steward will come to check his majesty's table,then he will signal the guards to check the room for uninvited or unwanted guests. The Princess usually has a small list of people who she does not want to see for one reason or another so they will be asked to leave. Only after all of that will the King's Shadows come in, and the King will follow."

At Michael's sigh of acceptance, she stood, careful not to push the chair onto her dress. The white gown with its long, flower embroidered train, dragged along the floor and irritated her beyond measure. Leyla would have refused to wear it, had Delphine not threatened her with tears. The girl had found her weakness and the elaborate pearl-studded hairstyle that Leyla now wore, was testament to that fact.

"If Lady Propriety asks, I've gone to the restroom."

Michael laughed at the knick-name, dragging far too many gazes in their direction.

"Sa Lak!" Leyla threw the Asch curse over her shoulder and walked swiftly towards the side entrance of the hall. She managed to avoid getting stopped by guests who were yet uncertain if they were allowed to approach the Light Landers, but the guards were a different matter. Having trained them herself, she knew she couldn't let them see her or shaking them would become impossible. Making her way to the door closest to the restrooms, she pulled a pearl from her hair and scanned her surroundings for the servants carrying trays of drink. Perfect! Taking him, she flicked the pearl unnoticed, then waited for the ensuing crash. Several Ladies shrieked as the tray of glasses came tumbling down. It was enough to move the guard to investigate.

Using the distraction, Leyla opened the door, looked down both sides of the hallway, gathered the train of her dress over one arm, then made her move. Ducking in and out of the archways, she used her knowledge of the patrol routes to make it out of the inner keep unseen, then ran along shadows until she reached the royal stable.

Since night had fallen, most of the horses were back in the pens and the stables were quiet. Leyla walked quickly, her soft leather shoes silent across the ground as she looked for Tia. She checked each stall all the way to the far end of the stable, but didn't find anyone. Maybe Isabelle had kept her word after all. It was not conclusive proof, but Leyla felt relieved. Silently, she headed back for the main entrance, when the sound of approaching horses hooves made her duck into an empty pen.

If she got caught, she would claim to be looking for the white thoroughbreds that belonged to the Land of Light. Pretending to be worried about the horses was an excuse that would't draw too many questions. Horses were precious in the Warrior Kingdom and other than the King, only the Princess and high ranking officers had their own.

"Shh boy, it's alright." A deep voice filled the space around her, freezing her to the spot. It can't be. She edged towards the pen door and saw a large black war horse being led into a stall near the entrance. Although she could only see the Warrior's back, she recognised Alec immediately.

Tall and broad, the tips of his blond hair brushed the high collar of his uniform as he led the horse. He turned slightly, giving her a profile view of his straight nose, square chin and strong jaw. He hadn't changed, not one bit...which was only naturally, after all only a few weeks had passed on Gaia! But for Leyla, six long years had gone by.

During those years, she had thought about her life in the Warrior Kingdom time and again. And no matter how she looked at it, Alec was a part of her warmest memories. He was the first to show her kindness, the first to take her side and the first to protect her. He taught her how to use a sword, saved food for her when she went on missions, spoke up for her when she was being wronged. Until the day she had earned her Lieutenant crescent, Alec added warmth to her otherwise cold life. Leyla still did not know why he changed, but it did not matter. She had come to regret not thanking him properly for caring about her, if only for a short while. Somehow she would need to find a way to repay him while she was here. But not now. Now, she had to get back to the feast.

Waiting for Alec to close the stall door, she moved softly past and out into the night.