Chapter 46

"The King is inspecting the orchards until the day after tomorrow, so we will have to wait to request an audience," Alec said when they met downstairs later that afternoon. There were a few dozen customers now, partaking of both the food and the women of the establishment while musicians played box-like string instruments that produced hauntingly beautiful sounds.

"Ah, well...that's not too long of a wait, I'm sure there is lots to see in the meantime," Finn smiled at Leyla with eyes that were more suited to a puppy than a fully grown Warrior. "Shall we have some dinner then?"

Leyla looked from Finn's eager expression, to Alec's stoic one. How exactly had things ended up this way? After their arrival at the Happy Time, Leyla had decided to collect information about the King before trying to seek an audience. The Greenlanders, like the Healers, assigned contact people between the administration and the Warrior outposts that protected them. What Leyla needed was to see the records where the names of the contacts for the outposts where Astrid of the House of Rock and Ama of the House of Glass had stayed, were listed.

While she had been thinking these thoughts and wondering how to get permission to look at the records for those names, Finn barged into her room babbling about a meeting with the Green King that she just had to join.

Alec's business in the Greenlands turned out to be to personally deliver a letter from the Warrior King to the Green King. It was incredibly luck and Leyla had agreed to join the meeting immediately. After all, gaining an introduction to the Green King was going to have been half the battle!

But now that they had found out the King was not in residence for two days...were they going to wait altogether for the meeting?

"Look, that table is free!" Finn rubbed his palms together, moving towards a table for four. Three women in provocative clothing recognised his intention and made a bee-line for the young Warrior. Leyla pictured herself sitting by while those women draped themselves on Alec's lap beside her. No thank you!

"You two go ahead, I'm going to go out for a bit." Not waiting for a reply, she moved quickly through the loitering guests and managed to get as far as the door before someone grabbed her arm.

"Wandering alone is not safe," Alec said.

"I'm capable of taking care of myself," Leyla bit out, trying to remove his hand.

Alec muttered something about obstinate women, then he slid his hand down to take hers and began pulling her outside. "You want to go outside? I will accompany you."

Leyla would have argued, but there was no point. She had seen that mulish expression many times over the years; he was definitely not going to change his mind. That did not mean that she would continue letting him drag her, though! With two fingers, she pushed at the back of his upper arm. Alec's hand went limp.

"You!"

Leyla put her hands behind her back and continued to walk feeling mighty pleased with herself. Unlocking the pressure spots on his arm, Alec caught up to her.

"Figures you would use a move I taught you, to annoy me." Alec said, sounding more amused than angry.

"I don't know what you mean, General." Leyla replied nonchalantly. A comfortable silence settled between them as they walked side by side, passing stalls that sold all manner of goods. Rows and rows of shoes, scarves and dresses lined one side of the street. Another was jam packed with counters filled with foods and desserts. Leyla's mouth watered at a scent that was both sweet and spicy and she remembered she hadn't eaten in a long time.

"What is that smell?"

Alec looked at her in surprise, then he was laughing. "I don't think I've seen you look so excited in a long time. Do you want to stop for food?"

"No, no." She shook her head. She was hungry, but not hungry enough to stop exploring.

He considered her while they walked, "No, actually, I have seen that look recently. When I told you, you were going to be promoted to Captain. I think you had a similar expression then."

Leyla remembered the day well. To her it was years ago, but for him only a few weeks had passed. She knew she should pretend that she didn't know what he was talking about, but there was little point. Alec would not be unconvinced no matter how she tried and the least she owed him was an expression of gratitude.

"Thank you," Leyla said.

"For what?" Alec stopped beside an accessory stall, his eyes on her.

"For coming to my aid that day. And for saving me at the hut." She looked down at her hands, not sure how to express her feelings. "You keep going out of your way for me, and I've done nothing for you."

"Yes you have," he said, but he wouldn't elaborate. Instead he turned to the stall behind him and picked up a beautiful hair pin; the long silver stick had interwoven flowers speckled with red stones. "How much?"

The shop owner stepped forward with a crooked-toothed smile, naming his price.

"Take it," Alec handed the accessory to her after paying. "It will go well with that ring you're wearing around your neck."

So he had noticed the Prorex's ring? Of course he had, this was Alec. Leyla took the hairpin, staring at it in confusion. "Why would you give me this?"

"Because it suits you," he took it from her and slipped it into the half bun she had hastily made that morning. "Because it's beautiful and because I want you to wear something that will make you think of me."

A boy with a long stick and candle pushed past them to light a nearby lantern. The sky had turned an orange-red.

"I can't accept this." She reached back to pull the ornament out, but he caught her hand.

"Don't." Letting go of her fingers, he looked away. "Didn't you want to thank me earlier? You can consider this your thanks. Unless, of course, you think it might get you in trouble with your fiancé..."

That was hardly the reason! "Raphael should be cancelling our engagement right about now, so I doubt he will care."

Alec turned back to her in surprise. "He is cancelling the engagement? Why? And why don't you seem upset?"

"Why would I be upset? I never wanted to marry him." Realising she had given up far too much information she held the hairpin out to him, "Can we keep going? It's getting late."

Alec folded his arms over his chest. "If you don't keep the gift, I'm not budging."

Sighing, Leyla put the ornament back in her hair. She walked on and Alec followed, looking pleased. His mood seemed to have improved. He smiled easily, laughed easily and soon he was buying things again.

"Okay, I accepted the hairpin and the delicious meat buns, but you have to give this back!"

"You can't tell me you like wearing that ill-fitting dress?" Alec arched a cocky brow, then lifted the red silk in his hands. The dress was gorgeous, but there was no way she would let him buy it. It wasn't right. This whole evening wasn't right. She was enjoying herself too much, enjoying his attentions too much. She had to stop letting herself get carried away.

"It doesn't matter how I'm dressed. Now, let's go-"

"How about this. Let's bet on it." Alec suggested.

"Bet on it?" She crossed her arms over her chest. "What kind of bet?"

Alec looked around, then he pointed to a stall full of hand carved animals. "If I can guess which of those statues you like best, you have to accept the dress."

Leyla raised her brows at the preposterous idea. "And if you can't?"

"Then not only will I return the dress, but I will also owe you a favour."

"That doesn't seem fair -" she began, but he cut her off.

"You're right, let's make it fair. If I get it wrong, I return the dress and owe you a favour. If I get it right, you accept the dress and owe me a favour!"

This time it was Alec who moved without waiting for a response, leaving her to rush to keep up. The stall with the carvings was smaller than most, but it still had a good array of beautiful wooden animals. Foxes, owls, bears, birds, horses. It took a moment for her to decide between two figures, but she finally managed to pick a favourite.