Chapter 54

The atmosphere took a turn for the worse. What was wrong with Raphael? He was usually so unflappable. Gratefully, the Green King was too dumb to sense the danger and let loose another one of his barking laughs.

"Point taken, Prorex. Point taken." Then he turned to Leyla, "Lady Alessa are you ready?"

Oh she was ready, alright. At Leyla's nod, the Green King turned to Saipria . "Release the beast."

With her eyes lowered, Saipriya unhooked the falcon's lead and held up her gloved hand. The majestic bird spread its dark wings, taking off into the sky with incredible speed. Leyla placed her arrow swiftly, drew back and then waited untill the King sent his flying. One. Two. Three. The deadly arrow flew for three heart beats, heading straight for the clueless bird. Leyla took a step left, lifted her arm and let her arrow fly. A moment before the King's aim found its mark, her arrow found hers.

"What!?" The Green King spat in disgust, as he watched his arrow fall out of the sky in two pieces. "You ruined my shot!" He whirled on Leyla, his round face pink with rage. "How dare you?"

She didn't make a move, careful to avoid looking at Saipriya who had tactfully moved back to stand by the wall. Raphael stiffened beside her, putting his hand on the table to stand, but Alec's voice stilled them all.

"You aren't really suggesting the Lady managed to do that on purpose?" He asked looking from the disappearing silhouette of the bird to the King. "I can tell you, Green King, that there are few Warriors with the skill it would require to do that in our entire army." His eyes growing a darker blue, Alec smiled. "Of course, if you'd like to put it to the test, I'll be happy to call in my elite guard. They are stationed at the outpost just outside the town limits."

Leyla cringed at Alec's thinly veiled threat. He shouldn't be saying such things! No matter how horrid the man was, he was the King of the Greenlands and as a General of the Warrior Kingdom, Alec was charged with upholding the agreements between the two countries.

She watched the Green King blink rapidly, visibly swallowing his anger. "You are right of course, General. How could a lady have done that on purpose?"

"I'm sorry, your Highness. It was my fault," Leyla jumped in, before anyone else said something to disturb the peace. "If I had been a better shot, I wouldn't have caused you such distress."

"Indeed, my Consort has too little knowledge of the art of war," Raphael took the bow from her, handing it to a footman before helping her resume her seat. "And I am sure his Highness understands that a Lady of the Land of Light would never purposefully insult anyone, much less a King."

"Indeed, indeed." The cowardly King nodded readily. "Come, come, let us eat! Saipria, serve some tea!"

Raphael was back to eating the Raan, his polite smile in place as he made small talk with the King. He even drew the less-than-eager Alec into their conversation while Saipria came around with small porcelain bowls of tea. The girl's expression was full of gratitude as she leaned over Leyla to place her drink. Leyla gave the girl a small nod, gratified to see the grief had lifted from the concubines eyes.

"The Warrior King has heard great things about your son's military abilities," Alec said, taking a letter from his breast pocket. "He has commissioned the royal blacksmith to make the Prince a sword for his official ascension as crown prince. We assume that will not be too far in the future?"

The Green King took the letter, then held up a bejewelled finger as he read its contents. Leyla got the distinct feeling that he was stalling for time.

"I have not heard about your heir," Raphael said into the silence. "But since General Alec seems to respect him to such a degree, he must be quite some man!"

Leyla could see the look of amusement in Alec's eyes as the Green King fussed with the letter. Were the two men bating the King? Was there a problem with the Green King's heir? Leyla couldn't remember hearing anything about him. In fact, as far as she could remember, factions had appeared among the Green King's vassals over who should be named the official heir. But if there was a legitimate son, there should not have been any question?

"I will send invitations to both of your Kingdoms when we decide on a date for the ascension ceremony," The Green King gave them a sticky smile. Then he turned his beady eyes on Leyla and stood. "But for the moment, why don't I take the Lady Alessa to my reading room? I ordered for the volumes that concern the year you mentioned, to be brought here from the records room."

Her hands went cold as she pushed herself up to her feet. Was she about to find her father's name among those records? "I would be most grateful."

"There's no need, no need at all." The Green King stood with a contrived air of benevolence. "I will accompany you, since you may only look at them in my presence." Then he turned to the two men at the table with a smile. "We will be back, anon."

Alec was on his feet before he had finished speaking, "I will come with you."

The Green King looked taken aback, "Why?"

Raphael patted Alec's arm as he too stood from his seat. "General Alec gave his word to protect Lady Alessa and you know how Warriors are about their promises." He came around to Leyla's side, then gently strung her hand through his arm. "But you can stand down now, General. Your responsibility ended the moment I arrived."

Leyla tensed as the men stared at each other wordlessly. Even the Green King looked taken aback until Raphael's lips curled into his habitual smile. "Now. Shall we go see those books?"