3

Quinn

I can't believe how slammed the Stillwater Tap is on a Wednesday. When Kyla and I walk through the door, my thoughts are immediately drowned out by the loud thump of the music, my eyes taking in the sheer number of bodies packing the place. Though it's not what I expected, I'm pleasantly surprised. The dance floor is already crowded, and before we've even made it to the bar to order a drink, I'm itching to get out there.

Kyla elbows her way to the front of the bar to order drinks while I hang back, scanning the crowd and tugging at the hem of the dress Kyla let me borrow. It's too small and too short, but it was the only thing remotely appropriate that I tried on from Kyla's closet. I've got a good six inches in height on her, not to mention several cup sizes. This stretchy black tube dress was my only option, aside from my brewery t-shirt and work shorts.

I feel a hand slither behind my back, a low voice in my ear saying "Hey, Quinn". I jump a little, startled, whipping my head around to see Kyla's boyfriend Tony positioned beside me.

"Oh, hey Tony," I breathe.

He grins, his beady dark eyes roaming my form, hand still glued to the small of my back. "Wow, you look amazing."

The way he says it makes my skin crawl. I love Kyla, but something about Tony has always made me a little uncomfortable.

"Uh... thanks," I mutter, casually sidestepping away so that his hand falls from my back. "Kyla's just up at the bar grabbing drinks." I tick my head in her direction.

Tony flashes a smile. "Guess I should grab one, too."

I give him a little nod, forcing myself to smile back. As he shuffles away, I glance out at the dance floor again, scanning the faces in the crowd.

It feels a little odd to be surrounded by so many strangers. As the alpha's daughter, everyone in Summervale knows me. I've never been around so many other shifters and been... anonymous. It's kind of thrilling. Tonight, I can be anybody I want to.

"Anyone caught your eye?" Kyla asks, appearing beside me and thrusting a shot glass in my direction.

"Not yet," I laugh, taking it from her appreciatively. I bring it to my lips, tossing it back. The chilled tequila burns my throat on the way down.

Kyla wrinkles her nose. "Ugh, how can you drink that stuff?"

I shrug, smiling. "Because it's delicious. Aren't you going to take yours?" I eye the other shot glass in her hand.

She shakes her head, holding it out to me. "That's all you, girl. I can't stand tequila. Tony's bringing me a drink."

I chuckle, taking the second shot from Kyla's hand and tossing it back. I love tequila- it's basically the only alcohol I drink. Ideally in shot form, so I can keep my hands free when I hit the dance floor, and chilled so that it goes down smooth.

"Thanks," I say, shifting both shot glasses to one hand and pointing at an empty high-top table with the other. "Should we snag that spot before someone else does?"

Kyla nods her agreement, wordlessly grabbing me by the elbow and leading me in the direction of the vacant table. We make it there to stake our claim right before another group descends upon it. A minute later, Tony finds us, his hands full of drinks. He sets them down on the table- one for himself, one for Kyla, and two more shots for me.

"Ky said you like chilled tequila?" he asks as he slides the shot glasses in my direction.

I nod, offering him a smile. "Thanks Tony."