Chapter Four

≪━─━─━─━─◈─━─━─━─━≫

Training with Bloodhound was exhausting and a lot more than what I had in mind. They introduce me to multiple weapons and how to use, clean, and store them all. They had set up targets for us to practice within the small clearing beside my house. Within the fifty or so feet, they placed the wooden targets throughout. I had helped paint circular rings on each with leftover paint they had brought with them. Finally when we were done Bloodhound had called me over with a Compound Bow in hand.

"First let us see how your aim is," They let a huff out as they held the weapon out to me, "Then I will know where to go from there."

I nodded and took the weighty weapon, I looked over the tan body, while Bloodhound handed me a single feathered bolt. I rose the weapon and slid the bolt into place as I pulled back the string. The Cams creaked with the pressure while I held it in place as I aimed. My arms felt the burn and my shoulders shook slightly. 

I decided to release the bolt onto the closest target that was about twenty or so feet away. The string snapped with release as the bolt went flying. In the next second, the bolt was in the ground to the right of the target.

"I see what you were going for," Bloodhound laid a hand on my shoulder, "It was a good try. Do try to be less spenntur*."

I dropped my arms down, "Spenntur?"

"Tense," They squeezed their hand, "You are too ridged, sætur vinur*."

"I'm sorry,"

"Do not apologize," They nodded their head towards the bow, "Again."

I received another bolt from Bloodhound. I raised the compound bow again with the bolt in place. Bloodhound leaned in close while moving my arm up and bending it at the elbow. I closed my eyes as they placed me where they wanted. I could smell the deep male scent of sweat and the spicey scent of their clothes. 

"Focus on the dot here. Place it above the target a little bit," They spoke right next to my ear causing my eyes to pop open, "When ready let go of the string with your thumb and two fingers. It will cause less drag."

I concentrated back on the task at hand, I aimed down the sight as they had said to, and let the bolt fly from the bow. The bolt landed with a harsh thud against the target. I stared wide-eyed at the result. 

"Good Job, Now again."

We stood together in the clearing for hours working on my aim. My shoulders felt sore when we finally chose to stop. I craved to groan but bit my tongue. Bloodhound packed away his weapon in a duffle bag he had brought them in, They laid them on the ground and motioned for me to come to them. 

"Now we take to the woods," They motioned for me to follow.

I accompanied Bloodhound as they led me into the woods. The moist ground covered in moss made the earth smell fresh and damp as we went deeper in. I watched them as they stepped with a sure foot, their boots never making a sound, contrary to their height. 

I, on the other hand, seemed to step on every twig. The loud cracking breaking the silence. I also noticed my breathing appeared to be louder than Bloodhound's. It made me feel out of place in the forest. 

I decided to focus on where we were going. They led me down a game trail down a jagged hillside. The moss patched around trees heavily and I spotted many herbs. I listened in as i heard the tale-tale signs of a brook.

"We will be there shortly," They called over their shoulder.

The gurgle of the brook became more of a roar as we headed closer. We exited the tree line. I stared in awe at the river that was coming from the mountains. It looked refreshing and clear, the scent of water mixing in with the forest in a lovely blend.