Chapter 2

As we walk a million thoughts are floating around in my mind. It makes no logical sense in any universe how I was able to time travel from the year 2005 to 1917. Not to mention how I ended up in Chicago of all places. I was dreaming. I had to be! Maybe I fell into a coma or something after slipping in Home Depot. Yeah! That's it! I'm in a coma. None of this is real.

Despite the unrealistic conclusion that I came to, I couldn't help thinking how real this all felt. The clothes, the mannerisms, the technology, it was all in line with how it was during this time. There was nothing out of place that could indicate any connection to a more modern time. Well, besides my clothes.

I notice the stares from everyone on the street but that's honestly the last of my worries. After about ten minutes of walking in silence, the woman leads me to a nice house that looks quite expensive.

"Take a seat in the parlour, dear. I'll find Anna to bring us some tea," the woman told me before walking into a different area of the house.

I knew what a parlour was since I've read a lot of books from this era but having to actually find it in a house is another story.

I walked in the opposite direction of the woman into a room that had some chairs and a table and took a seat. Not even a minute later, the woman walked in and took the chair opposite of me.

"Anna will be in with the tea in a moment. Now, first and foremost, how are you feeling?"

I was pretty sure I had a bruise forming on my hip but it was nothing compared to some of the nasty falls I've had in the past.

"I'm fine," I tell her. "A little confused, mostly, but fine."

"Oh, yes. You seemed quite disoriented when I found you on the sidewalk. It was the weirdest thing. I was looking at one of the horses attached to those carriages one second and you were on the ground in front of me the next. Just about gave me a heart attack!"

"You said I'm in Chicago?" I'm assuming there's no city called Chicago in Arizona, but I still had absolutely no idea how I would have possibly ended up in Illinois.

Just then another woman, who I'm assuming is Anna, came in with a tray and placed it in the middle of the table and walked out.

"Yes," the woman tells me as she pours me a cup of tea. "You mentioned Phoenix. Is that where you're from?"

I nod, taking a sip.

"So how did you end up here?"

Ah, yes. The million dollar question.

"I'm sorry. I appreciate everything you're doing for me but who are you?" I didn't answer her question. I had to try to clarify everything first.

"Oh! I should have introduced myself earlier. I apologize! Lillian Crowell." She sticks her hand out and I shake it. "And you are?"

"Bella Swan. Well, Isabella. But I go by Bella." Now that that was out of the way, onto more pressing matters.

"The year is 1917?" I asked Lillian.

"Yes dear. Are you sure you don't have a fever?" She puts her hand on my forehead and I feel the blood draining from my face.

I had read enough books to know that telling someone I'm from the future could have a lot of negative ramifications but honestly, I had no other ideas at the moment so I decided to take my chances.

"What I'm about to say may seem a little insane and you might not believe me." I start.

"Go on," Lillian casually leans back and sips her tea.