Chapter 3

The bulky man took Sanara's hands within his and pressed his lips to them

The bulky man took Sanara's hands within his and pressed his lips to them. She barely noticed that Faust had jumped out of her arms a moment before. The feline rested in the space between the two looking quite content with himself. He gave a self-satisfied purr to express his contentment. How could a cat be so smug?

"My King, I deeply apologize if Faust has caused you any trouble. He usually does not stray too far from me. I take full responsibility for any inconvenience he may have caused you."

He chuckled and glanced down at the creature in question. His eyes gazed into Sanara's with intention.

"Quite the opposite of an inconvenience to be meeting the woman I am promised to," his deep voice sent shivers down Sanara's spine. "It is not every day I find a cat roaming the castle; especially a cat that smells exactly like my mate."

"You recognized my scent? How had you known?" The two had never met as far as Sanara knew.

The royal tilted his head in consideration, "I did not know it belonged to you at first. I was perplexed that a cat smelled so divine. Pretty comical now that I think about it. I thought I was going mad. It all fell into place when your eyes met mine." The rhythm of his words reminded her of Madame Sophia.

The guard closest to the newly formed couple nearly toppled over catching Sanara's attention although the King's eyes didn't leave the girl in front of him, not even for a moment. He had been searching for her for too many lifetime-lengths of time not to take in her glory every second he could. Her beauty would make even the moon goddess herself bristle in affront.

"At ease, soldiers. You may shift back. I apologize; my attention is quite preoccupied at the moment." His voice was heavy with authority, influence, and just a bit of humor.

The sounds of the guards standing and saluting before shifting were heard echoing throughout the garden and bouncing off the palace walls in the same rippling domino effect as before.

Lord Nyx pulled his mate up to stand in front of him as he raised from his kneeling position. From this moment on, she would be the only one in existence who did not have to defer to him. He had finally found his other half, his partner, his equal.

Faust had led the King to the intoxicating being in front of him. What a peculiar cat. He really did live up to his namesake. He really brought Sanara fortune after all.

She thought about all the nights she had spent writing in her leatherbound journal. She supposed that that habit had come to an end now. Her daydream was playing out in front of her. She no longer had to pull at the seams of her imagination to produce a faded image of a man, not when said man had come to fruition in her reality.

You will find the material of your dreams among the roses.

She finally understood what Madame Sophia had meant. Her mate: the material of her dreams.