Chapter 4

Normally, Sanara's feet would be aching by this time of the ball

Normally, Sanara's feet would be aching by this time of the ball. She stood by the door bidding all the guests farewell by Kalon's side. His arm was firmly wrapped around her waist; his expansive hand was settled on the swell of her hip. She played with the bracelet wrapped around his wrist as she waved to the departing villagers and officials with her other hand.

A smile graced her face as she shook hands with the many people who were eager to make one last appearance before the new Queen. Sanara's head spun being introduced to so many new faces that she was not so sure she would remember by come morning.

As the last of the people trickled out, Kalon escorted her out of the ballroom and back to his quarters. Faust flippantly joined them from Goddess only knew where.

They walked up the ornate marble stairs and through the winding hallways until they stood in front of the same heavy oak door they went through earlier than night.

Faust settled onto the windowsill across the room, basking in the moonlight. Kalon took Sanara's hands in his and guided her to sit on the edge of his bed.

She knew what was coming and his next question confirmed it.

"How soon are you willing to move into the castle?" He took a step closer so that his legs brushed against the billowing fabric of her skirts. "If I had my way you would stay with me tonight. I will have some of the soldiers collect your things, as well as your brother's, tomorrow."

Sanara looked up at the hunk of a specimen in front of her and smiled remembering their conversation earlier that night in which he had gotten his way. It was the reason she attended the ball that she was not previously planning to attend after all.

"I doubt you would let up until you ascertained what you wanted in some way. Lucky for you, I would love to stay here tonight."

Mates were meant to be inseparable from the moment they meet. Why should she make this any more difficult for either of them? She wanted to stay, he wanted her to stay. It was simple.

She had already run into Liren earlier that night. Her heart ached with how elated he seemed on her behalf. Her brother could be the bane of her existence at times, but he was also her biggest supporter.

She had yet to tell Liren that Kalon was letting him stay in the castle as well. She only had a brief moment to speak with her brother before being whisked away to greet another barrage of guests. It still baffled her that she went from being just another potential guest to a host. She knew she would wake tomorrow morning thinking tonight had been a dream.

She looked back up at an elated Kalon when she suddenly felt her hands fall to her lap.

He strode over to a set of drawers and pulled out a pair of loose pants and a thin cotton shirt.

"Here, wash up and change into these. The pants have a tie so you should be able to adjust them." He explained before walking hurriedly through a door beside the wardrobe.