Chapter 2

Aedan hated the docks.

Two thugs protected the janky, hole-ridden dock that led to Cheddar's sailboat. Both of their names were Conor, but one of them went by Gill. They both were hairy giants with fiery hair and a graveyard tan. Aedan was greatly relieved when he got close enough to smell the whiskey sweating out their freckly pours because they were especially nasty when sober.

"Yer late, boy," Conor said.

"He's got a name," the other Conor said, known as Gill. "Everything okay, Aedan?"

"Why ye always be so soft on these muts?" said Conor. "I swear ye think they their mum."

So only Gill had been drinking today.

Gill scowled and stepped aside. "He's waiting for you."

When Aedan went to walk past, Gill put a rough hand on his shoulder and sent a warning with narrow eyes and a thin-lined mouth. Aedan's stomach tossed harder than the waves beneath him. Cheddar was in one of his moods.

Conor let go and Aedan walked forward with his chest held high because that's how real man walked the gangplank. Surprisingly, none of Cheddar's lady friends were on the boat with him. Aedan liked them because Cheddar usually didn't get physical if they were around.

"Step." Cheddar had a voice like thunder before the lighting. It was enjoyable until it struck you.

Aedan kept his eyes low as he stepped over the railing and onto the flat surface of the boat. Cheddar was rubbing his temples as he leaned against the captain's chair. Aedan didn't dare look directly at his face.

"Purses," Cheddar ordered. His tone said he was more tired than angry. A good thing.

Aedan fumbled his fingers as he tried to open his satchel. Cheddar didn't say anything—no command to hurry or cheap comment made in mockery. Knowing Cheddar, Aedan knew that was a bad sign.

Aedan finally opened his satchel and retrieved the four coin purses. He handed them over with shaking hands. Cheddar plucked the purses one by one, slowly and deliberately. Another bad sign.

Aedan heard each coin drop in the palm of Cheddar's hands. Aedan's temples started to sweat, and it had nothing to do with standing under the midday sun. When the coins stopped falling, Aedan held his breath.

"How did you get this much coin?"

Aedan shuddered at the accusatory tone. "The fruit sellers and wool merchants were in today, sir."

"Did anyone see you?"

"No, sir." Aedan responded confidently because he was not lying. Of course, people saw him, but that's not what Cheddar was asking. The man with the one good eye never saw him steal.

"Colonel arrived on time?"

"Yes, sir. I showed him my bodies immediately, sir."

"I didn't ask you about that did I, Aedan?"

"No, sir."

Cheddar said his name.

The crime boss took a long while to speak, before he finally said, "Look up, Aedan."

Aedan did as commanded, bracing himself. In the moment, fear was like physical pain. The more intense and uncomfortable the fear became, the less your mind allowed you to feel it. Aedan felt nothing.

Cheddar appeared more exhausted than he sounded. The bags under his eyes were on the verge of sinking to his nostrils and his skin was ghostly pale and thin. Aedan wagered he had not slept or eaten on schedule in days. In between Cheddar's thick fingers was suddenly a green coin. Aedan started to panic. How did he get that? Aedan slipped the coin in his secret pocket back at the barrel. He desperately wanted to check if it was still there.