Chapter 16

Aedan awoke Christmas to Galileo licking his paws incessantly, making it impossible to sleep.

"Shouldn't you be catching mice or something?"

Galileo pretended not to hear him.

He looked out his chamber windows to find the Grotto blanketed in a few more inches of snow beneath the grey sky.

Last night, Aedan sleepily agreed to meet Holly at church this morning. Aedan was in a state of extreme euphoria as well as sleepiness when he did so. So it was just now that he asked himself, "Druids go to church?" Better yet, "Where is church?"

He dressed quickly and hurried to find out, eating the pumpkin muffins out of his robe pocket.

The church was easy to find because there was a massive bell above it that was ringing louder than any early morning noise had a right to. The church was, simply, a church—no vivid colors, no hint of anything purple, no mounted stone heads. Aedan was surprised by the warm feeling in his heart from seeing the church; it reminded him of Dublin. Who would have thought he would have missed any part of that place?

Holly was all smiles when he found her. She interlocked her arm around her, as if that were the completely normal thing to do. Aedan tried not to reveal how uncomfortable he felt by the closeness.

Aedan's mouth nearly fell open when the priest took the stage.

Father Andrews.

Aedan's world was suddenly flipped upside down. Father Andrews was a Druid?

Father Andrews began with "Good morning and Happy Christmas. Our Faith today..." After that, Aedan heard nothing. He was dumbfounded, stunned to stillness, and for some reason, angry. He felt like he had been lied to.

But he hadn't. He had never attended church because he was too filthy and dirty. He didn't want to bring shame to church. He had spoken to Father Andrews before, but never long, usually regarding food or clothing. No, his time with Father Andrews was almost entirely spent at a distance, in a tree, learning (spying).

Aedan went through the proceedings absentmindedly, grateful when the service was over. He hardly noticed when Holly locked her arms around his again.

It wasn't until the cold wind hit his face that he snapped back to reality. They walked to the Mess Hall. Apparently, Christmas was the exception to the no breakfast rule on break.

"What's wrong, Aedan?" she asked concernedly. "You don't look well."

"What? No." He feigned a smile. "That was great. I'm doing great."

"You're a terrible liar, by Danu's Waters."

Aedan frowned. No, he wasn't. He was a great liar! Lying was a central facet to the great art of thieving.

"Trust me, it's nothing," Aedan said, conjuring the following lie in his head as he spoke. "It's just that I haven't been able to eat much since break started. I haven't slept well because of it. I've been practicing my hurling drills twice a day, preparing for our next match. I'm extra hungry."

She eyed him suspiciously for a moment before accepting.

That's right, Aedan thought.

"You should have just said so. I have a ton of food in my chambers. My dad gets a lot of gift baskets and baked goods. He gives them all to me and I don't know what to do with it all."

Aedan smiled. "I think I might know what to do."

For the remainder of break, Aedan ventured to Holly's for breakfast, lunch, and sometimes even dinner. She insisted that he learned what the Irish called the Old Gods, but the Druids called the Tuatha Dé Danann. She offered to teach, and he offered to listen.