Chapter 7

"Foolish, Aedan," Maggie said.

Aedan wasn't sure where she was taking him. They left Clark's in such a rush that he barely had a moment to say goodbye to Holly. "Cursing Madam Fuss with the kelpie's name is worthy of interrogation. You're lucky nobody knows who you are. That won't last long, however. We have to get you to the Grotto. The Cetta won't want to make a scene there."

"She said my money was stolen!" Aedan protested. He couldn't keep the guilt out of his voice, though. "She called me a creature."

Maggie said nothing. A Rowan tree was nestled in between a shoe store and a butchery. This Rowan tree was busy, but Maggie didn't seem to care. Most of the business was from people exiting the tree, not going in.

The door that always was swung open and it smelled like bark inside.

They were somewhere new, where the mountaintops reached the Heavens, and the valleys sank and rose as naturally as the sun's rhythm. The air was thick from where they were, a high hill overlooking a bustling city. An oval-shaped lake shimmered in the far distance, right before the green-capped mountains began their ascent to the many clouds, none of which blocked the bright sun from shining over this magical place. Beside the lake was a black, stark figure that towered over the city. A thick forest surrounded Aedan on the hilltop, stretching for miles in every direction, only just stopping around the city's edges.

"What is this place?" Aedan asked.

"We're standing in between the Grotto and another village called Sollis, where you'll be staying tonight." She turned around, her cloak whipping.

"Why am I staying there tonight?" Aedan asked, following. "Why don't I just go to school now? It's right down there. Isn't it?"

"Because you cursed a prominent Milesian in her own store. You're lucky you got away with it. She stopped abruptly and whipped around. "And do you truly want to arrive at your new home looking like a thief from the streets of Dublin? Covered in dirt and soot?"

Aedan dropped his head. "No." He tightened his fists. "But I'm not ashamed! I did what I had to, to survive."

Maggie turned around and resumed walking. "If you truly believe your words, then you shouldn't have the need to defend yourself. Own what you've done and who you are."

"Thanks for the advice," Aedan mumbled. "Why didn't we...what did we just do? What's it called when we use the Rowan tree for transportation?"

"Root."

"Right. Why didn't we just root right to the village you talked about? Soldier or whatever."

"Sollis," Maggie explained. They entered a real thick part of the forest, where various deciduous trees stood tall, old and proud. There were plenty of rowans and pines. Small shrubs with red berries were scattered around and they seemed misplaced to Aedan. He saw more nightingales and a critter he thought looked like a cub. "Because we don't want to be seen. Better to lay low for today. We're taking the back entry in. I have a friend."

Aedan's stomach growled. "Does your friend serve food? Bread and cheese, perhaps?"

"Yes." She stopped right as the trees thinned. "Stay here and wait. Aedan, do not run off."

"Hey, I'm not a little kid," Aedan said.

"Yes, you are," Maggie said and walked through the trees into the open land that Aedan could barely make out beyond the branches. They were behind a brick building with a thatched roof, that much he knew. Stringed music reverberated along with the general sound of active people. He hadn't even seen the burrow yet, this Sollis, but it had a different feeling than Under Hill, a more relaxed undertone. Aedan used this time to practice twirling his staff.