Eight

That afternoon, Tess was raking the leaves from under the mango tree in the Big Yard, wondering how she could have embarrassed herself so badly in front of Maddie that morning. Telling her she's fit? God, how cliché. She thought Maddie was pretty good looking, especially with her new short hair style, but it wasn't something you just came out and told a girl was it? Especially not when you'd just met them.

Then again, Tess was pretty sure Maddie was flirting with her with the whole cream bun thing. She wondered if she liked cupcakes. She said she had a sweet tooth.

Tess's thoughts were interrupted by someone calling her name. She looked up to see Will striding across the yard.

"Got you doing the easy stuff," Will said, wrapping Tess in a hug. 

"The boring stuff," Tess said, leaning the rake against the wheelbarrow. "I didn't think you were going to be here until Thursday."

Will shrugged. "They cancelled my interview."

"Wow. Really?" Will had applied for an entry level conservation job on the Coast. He'd wanted to be a ranger ever since he'd met Ranger Stacey in third grade. Tess thought he still secretly crushed on her. "What happened?"

"They said they're not filling it yet."

"Can they do that?"

"I guess so. Anyway, it doesn't matter. I'll get to interview for it later hopefully. Besides, it means I get a few extra days at home with you and Lizzie." He was smiling, but Tess could tell he was disappointed. "Hey, speaking of Lizzie, did you hear the concert's been cancelled?" he asked.

Tess hadn't heard from Lizzie since her text last night. "No. What happened?"

"No idea," Will said. "Lizzie's crushed. She called me just before and had a bit of a spack about it."

"I can imagine. She's been waiting all year for it. Are they rescheduling?"

"No idea. I'm sure Lizzie will tell us all about it when she gets home."

Tess nodded. 

"How's the prep going?" Will asked.

Tess shrugged. "Just cleaning up at the moment. Pop hasn't given me anything else to do yet, but Gran's started the baking. I think she's doing the coconut ice this morning and then cupcakes this afternoon." 

"I might go see if she wants me to taste test for her," Will said. 

"Ha! Good luck with that," Tess laughed.

"Hey, I saw a car in the drive way at McGregor's. Is someone staying there?" Will asked.

"Yeah. They've been there a couple of days I think."

"Renters?"

"Holidayers. There's a girl, our age, called Maddie. And a woman who isn't her mother called Jo."

"Sounds curious. I wonder what their story is."

"No idea," Tess replied. "But Maddie seems alright."

"Mm hhm," Will said.

"I've run into her a couple of times in the last few days," Tess said. "Literally."

"What do you mean?"

"She ran out in front of me yesterday when I was on my way up the farm. I almost hit her on the bike."

"You didn't hurt her did you?" Will asked.

"She's okay," Tess said. "Just a sprained ankle and a bit of a graze."

Will shook his head. "You know there are better ways to meet girls, don't you?"

"You should've seen her this morning trying to work out how to use the crutches. She almost fell over in the shop. It was just lucky I was there to catch her."

"Really?"

"Yeah," Tess said, laughing. "It was so funny."

Will narrowed his eyes. Tess said, "What?

Will shook his head. "Nothing. Is Pop around?"

"In the tractor shed I think."

"Cool. I'll go and see if he needs a hand with anything." He turned to leave and then turned back and said, "Just so you know, I've entered the comp tonight."

Tess rolled her eyes. "Again? Don't you want to give someone else a chance to win best belly flop?"

"No way. That free ice cream is all mine." Will rubbed his hands together. "You're coming to watch me win, right?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"No."

"Fine."

"Great. It's a date. You should ask Maddie if she wants to come." 

Before Tess could answer, he wandered off toward the old tractor shed, hands shoved into his pockets, his thongs flipping up against the bottom of his feet. Pop would make him change into joggers before he'd let him start helping with anything. In fact, Will would be lucky if Pop even let him into the shed with thongs on.

As Tess picked up the rake to continue clearing up the leaves, her phone buzzed in her pocket. She dug it out and swiped the screen. She smiled when she saw it was a text from Maddie.

Thanks for dropping the cream bun off

Tess text back. No worries Hope it was worth the wait

Sure was :)

Tess thought about what Will said. She sent Belly flop comp at the pool tonight Tragic but funny Ur welcome to come

There was a bit of a wait and then Maddie replied.

Sure Meet you there What time?

6?

It's a date :)

Tess wondered what she should reply and before she could decide, her phone buzzed with another text. This one was from Lizzie.

My life sux Concert cancelled :( Heading home See u tomorrow

Tess replied. I'll be here

Might need comfort food

Gran's big breakfast?

Perfect Ur gran is awsum :)

I know See u tomorrow

Tess shoved her phone back into her pocket. She smiled at the thought of seeing Maddie again and getting to see Lizzie tomorrow and continued raking.