Thirteen

The fact that the phone was Jo's was the only thing that had saved it from being smashed to pieces. Maddie had decided, obviously against her better judgement, to call her father just to let him know she was fine and Jo had agreed to let her use her phone because Maddie was paranoid her father could trace her own phone. She hadn't been talking with him for more than ten minutes and it had turned into another raging argument about her future. More than ever she felt like her life wasn't her own anymore, and that her opinions and choices didn't matter.

Jo had let her rant and rave without interruption, and when Maddie had finally calmed down, Jo had suggested they go into town to get out of the house. Maddie had refused, but Jo had gone in any way to get some groceries, leaving Maddie to quietly fume on her own. What was it with her father and wanting to be so controlling? He never used to be like that. Did he? Her mother, maybe but not her dad. He'd been on her side when she was little but then everything changed when they had more money than they knew what to do with. It was great at first. She had a wardrobe other girls her age would kill for and a house straight out of a magazine. It hadn't taken long for her parents to become a lot more restrictive about everything from what she wore to what she ate. It seemed like every time she turned around, her choices were totally ignored in favour for what her parents wanted.

Despite Maddie's initial reservations, Jo bringing her to Chesterfield for a break had ended up being one of her best ideas. Being away from her family and away from the pressures of her life had given her some perspective. She still had no idea what to do about her life though, and she didn't know how much longer she'd be allowed to stay away before the rumours really kicked into overdrive.

She walked to the top of the stairs on the front veranda of the farm house and leaned her head against a post. She was looking out across the cane field, wondering what she was going to do about her life now that she realised how far she'd fallen when she got a text message. It was Tess.

Going swimming at the dam Want to come?

Maddie looked up toward the farm house. Sure enough, though she couldn't see clearly, she could just make out a couple of people on the veranda. She wasn't sure Jo would let her out of the house given her latest outburst, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. She replied to Tess, telling her to give her ten minutes to ask Jo.

Then she sent her another text.

Is that u on the veranda?

Yes How do you know?

Can see u

The person on the veranda, who Maddie now knew was Tess, waved. Maddie waved back.

I can see u What r u up to?

Maddie considered her answer.

Can only just see u Considering my future

That's a bit deep

Maddie laughed in spite of herself.

U haven't thought about ur future?

Nope What's to think about? Finish school, go to uni, get a job Simple

Maddie looked up. Tess had moved down to the closest corner, and Maddie could see it was definitely Tess now. Maddie text back.

My life not so simple

Ur on holidays How complicated can it be?

Maddie shook her head. She wished she could explain her situation to Tess but she didn't know how to.

Let's just say I have lots to think about

Want to talk about it?

Maddie sighed. She wasn't sure what else there was to say, but maybe talking to someone who didn't know about her situation could give her some perspective. She text back.