Twenty-Eight

Tess had to push her way through a crowd to get to Gran's baked goods stand. Will and Lizzie had certainly planned the festival out well. The stages were far enough away from the food tents that you didn't have to yell too loud to ask for what you wanted and they'd managed to talk a ride company into setting up a side-show alley with games and rides to keep people entertained away from the music. Tess slipped under the rope at the back of Gran's food tent and stood by the Esky. "How's it going?" she asked.

Gran gave a woman her change and said, "Really good. The cupcakes are almost sold out. I had no idea they'd be so popular." She turned back to serve another customer.

"Do you want a hand?" Tess asked.

"Lizzie and I have it covered," Gran said. "And before I forget, I saved you a cupcake. It's in the Esky."

"Thanks," Tess said. She didn't feel like eating though, because she'd just checked her phone for the millionth time, only to discover, yet again, that there were no messages from Maddie. "Are you sure I can't give you a hand?"

"You could go see if Will needs any help," Lizzie suggested. "He's over with the sound guys I think."

"I've already been to see him and there's nothing I can do over there."

"What about Pop?" Gran asked. "Have you seen him?"

"He's gone into town to get some more frozen chips for the Lions van," Tess said.

"Why don't you just go and enjoy yourself then," Gran said. "Lizzie can finish up here in a few minutes and you two can go around and have some fun."

"Yeah," Lizzie said. "I'll meet you over at the clowns."

"Fine," Tess said. She ducked back under the rope and headed over to the games area. On her way over to the clowns, she ran into Will.

"Hey, Tess," Will said. "Enjoying yourself?"

"I guess," she said. "Are you busy?"

"Super busy," he said. "It's amazing how many people are here, isn't it?"

"Any idea how many we've had come through?"

"No idea, but we've had to open up Fitzy's for campers."

"Campers?"

"Yeah," Will said. "There are heaps of people coming from out of town and the motels are booked out apparently. Lucky I mowed the block, hey?"

"Yeah," Tess said. "Very lucky." She didn't think it was luck so much as pre-meditated planning.

"Hey, Will," Lizzie said when she joined them. "We're heading over to Cow Pat Bingo to see who won. You want to come?"

"Are we?" Tess said.

"Yeah," Lizzie said. "I have to take some photos for the paper."

"Sorry," Will said. "I have to go and pick up some more toilets to put on Fitzy's. Have fun though. I'll catch you later."

Lizzie linked arms with Tess, and as they headed to the bingo field she said, "Isn't it great?"

"I guess so," Tess said. The bands they'd had on so far hadn't been too bad, except for that one group whose idea of music was yelling incoherently into the microphone with electric guitars screaming in the background. She couldn't believe how many of the crowd actually enjoyed it.

"Did you hear how many we've had come through?" Lizzie asked.

Tess shook her head. "I just asked Will but he said he didn't know."

"I heard Pop say that we had six hundred as of an hour ago."

"Wow, really?" Tess was amazed. That was double what they'd had last year in total.